Help needed in simulating 3-phase transformer in ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a 2D model of a three-phase core-type transformer in ANSOFT MAXWELL 14.0. The individual encountered a problem when trying to incorporate core losses into the model. After checking various core sections, the model produced incorrect results for line currents on the primary side and phase currents on the secondary side. It is suggested to consider P(B) curves or coefficients for incorporating core losses correctly in the model.
Shantanav
I am designing a 2D model of a three-phase core-type transformer in ANSOFT MAXWELL 14.0. While doing so I have encountered a strange problem.

Start of the problem:-

While designing the transformer, I wanted to incorporate core losses. So, I did the following steps:-

Excitations -> Set Eddy Effects -> checked the various core sections in my model (because eddy current effects occur in the transformer core)

and also

Excitations -> Set Core Loss - > checked the various core sections in my model (because core loss effects occur in the transformer core)

Symptoms :-

Model simulated (using transient solution type) and then gives the following wrong results:

1) Line currents on the primary side (star-connected) are very high (about 10 times)

2) Secondary side (delta connected) phase currents lose their phase dependence, i.e. the phase currents are no more 120 degrees apart, they all are in phase now. However, the secondary line currents are Ok though.

Additional Information :-

If I do not consider eddy current and core loss effects, then the model simulates to give correct results.

Please provide me suggestions/hints/solutions to my problem - how to incorporate core losses correctly in my model.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What material are you taking? For core loss you need to know P(B) curves for different frequencies, or coefficients Kh, Ke, Kc, Kdc.

1. What is ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D?

ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D is a finite element analysis software used for modeling and simulating electromagnetic systems, such as transformers.

2. How does ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D simulate a 3-phase transformer?

ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D uses the finite element method to solve Maxwell's equations and simulate the behavior of a 3-phase transformer in a 2D plane. It takes into account the material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions of the transformer to accurately predict its performance.

3. What are the benefits of using ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D for simulating 3-phase transformers?

Some of the benefits of using ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D include its user-friendly interface, accurate results, and ability to handle complex geometries and material properties. It also has a range of features, such as visualization tools, that make it easier to analyze and interpret simulation results.

4. Can ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D simulate different types of 3-phase transformers?

Yes, ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D can simulate various types of 3-phase transformers, including delta-delta, delta-wye, wye-wye, and auto-transformers. It can also handle different configurations, such as single-phase and three-phase transformers.

5. Is ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D suitable for beginners in electromagnetic simulation?

While ANSOFT MAXWELL 2D has a user-friendly interface, it is a powerful software that requires some knowledge of electromagnetic theory and simulation techniques. It is recommended for users who have a basic understanding of these concepts and have some experience with similar software.