Open circuit test of 3 phase transformer in Ansys Maxwell

In summary, the designer is trying to figure out how to conduct an open circuit test on a transformer and is having difficulty doing so.
GauravU
Hi all,
I am designing a three phase 11000/433 Volts Delta/Star 50 Hertz transformer in Ansys Maxwell. It has 792 turns in 6 layers on HV side (132 turns per layer) and 18 turns in 2 layers (9 turns per layer). The resistance as I have calculated is 0.1325 ohms per phase of HV winding and 5.57 micro ohms per phase of LV winding. I have done all the modelling and doing transient type simulation but I am facing certain problems as the results are not as per my expectation:

1) What should I put in the number of parallel branches and number of conductors?
(132 conductors and 6 parallel branches or 792 conductors and 1 branch). The conductors are wrapped around just like a winding so I think all are connected in series

2) How do I conduct the open circuit test on the transformer?
I have used 2 approaches:
(i) I deleted the HV winding in the model and supplied the full voltage to LV winding as HV has to be kept open. Is that the right approach? I am doubtful as it will cause full load current of LV to flow, so that won't comprise an open circuit test as to my knowledge.

(ii) I designed a circuit in Maxwell Circuit Editor containing both the windings but I am unable to get how to keep the HV winding open. When I keep the HV winding inactive(open) and export the netlist, Maxwell gives error during simulation (not while importing netlist) that windings of HV are not there in the imported circuit. When I simply keep the HV circuit open, still Maxwell gives error. As you can understand, I can't connect ground on the HV side as it is open circuit, so how should I do it?

3) I wish to know what are the typical values of Kh, Kc of a transformer of such rating. Frequency=50 Hertz Material density=7650, thickness= 0.27mm, conductivity= 5000000S/m. The values I am getting are Kh=65.489 and Kc=0.599. Are they good enough or typical values are not in this range?

Project4.zip contains the full load circuit

Project6.zip contains the open circuit test circuit

Please do let me know if there is some fault in my design

Attachments

• Project6.zip
    41.6 KB · Views: 389
  • Project4.zip
    44.4 KB · Views: 399
Is there way to address this? I think Maxwell doesn't converge if one of the windings is left unexcited

By leaving a winding un-connected you have a floating inductor. Simulation software doesn't like disconnected components, it can't create the network equations to calculate a solution. The usual fix is to put a high value resistor across the component. At least some solvers also require a path to circuit common (Ground).

Cheers,
Tom

Likes zand10000
I've never actually simulated a transformer, mostly just machines, but really they are basically a transformer where the secondary winding is a rotor, the way I usually handle open circuit voltage simulation to determine d/q harmonics etc is by placing a current excitation with 0A, then run. You should then be able to plot the voltage the current source has to apply to maintain zero current.

holy resurrected thread... o0)

1. What is the purpose of performing an open circuit test on a 3 phase transformer in Ansys Maxwell?

The open circuit test, also known as the no-load test, is used to determine the core losses of a transformer. This test is essential in understanding the efficiency and performance of the transformer under no-load conditions.

2. How is the open circuit test conducted on a 3 phase transformer in Ansys Maxwell?

The test is conducted by connecting one phase of the transformer to a power source while keeping the other two phases open. The input voltage and current are then measured, and the core losses are calculated using the measured values.

3. What are the advantages of using Ansys Maxwell for conducting an open circuit test?

Ansys Maxwell is a powerful simulation software that allows for accurate modeling and analysis of electromagnetic systems. Using Ansys Maxwell for the open circuit test provides reliable results, saves time and resources, and allows for easy visualization of the test setup and results.

4. Can the open circuit test results be used to predict the performance of the transformer under load conditions?

Yes, the core losses obtained from the open circuit test can be used to estimate the transformer's performance under load conditions. However, other tests such as the short circuit test are also necessary to accurately determine the transformer's characteristics.

5. Are there any limitations to the open circuit test method for 3 phase transformers in Ansys Maxwell?

The open circuit test method assumes that the core losses are constant, which may not be accurate for transformers with varying loads. Additionally, the test does not account for stray losses, which can affect the overall performance of the transformer.