Poisson brackets of angular momentum components

by bznm
Tags: poisson
bznm
Dec27-12, 05:27 AM
P: 62
I want to find [M_i, M_j] Poisson brackets.

$$[M_i, M_j]=\sum_l (\frac{\partial M_i}{\partial q_l}\frac{\partial M_j}{\partial p_l}-\frac{\partial M_i}{\partial p_l}\frac{\partial M_j}{\partial q_l})$$

I know that:

$$M_i=\epsilon _{ijk} q_j p_k$$

$$M_j=\epsilon _{jnm} q_n p_m$$

and so:

$$[M_i, M_j]=\sum_l (\frac{\partial \epsilon _{ijk} q_j p_k}{\partial q_l}\frac{\partial \epsilon _{jnm} q_n p_m}{\partial p_l}-\frac{\partial \epsilon _{ijk} q_j p_k}{\partial p_l}\frac{\partial \epsilon _{jnm} q_n p_m}{\partial q_l})$$

$$= \sum_l \epsilon _{ijk} p_k \delta_{jl} \cdot \epsilon_{jnm} q_n \delta_{ml}- \sum_l \epsilon_{ijk}q_j \delta_{kl} \cdot \epsilon_{jnm} p_m \delta_{nl}$$

Then I have thought that values that nullify deltas don't add any informations in the summations. And so, $$m=l, j=l$$ but so I obtain $$m=j$$. But if $$m=l$$, the second Levi-Civita symbol in the first summation is zero... And if I go on, I obtain $$[M_i, M_j]=-p_iq_j$$ instead of $$[M_i, M_j]=q_ip_j-p_iq_j$$

Where am I wrong? :| Could you say to me how to go on? Thanks a lot!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
madness
Dec27-12, 07:15 AM
P: 606
You have 3 j's in the same term. Make sure your dummy indices (i.e. the ones that are summed over) are different from the variable indices. Use a different letter for each dummy index to avoid confusion.
bznm
Dec30-12, 02:44 AM
P: 62
Quote Quote by madness View Post
You have 3 j's in the same term. Make sure your dummy indices (i.e. the ones that are summed over) are different from the variable indices. Use a different letter for each dummy index to avoid confusion.
Thank you!

Register to reply