Noether theorem and angular momenta

In summary, we discussed the invariance of a vector field by rotation and determined the Noether current and the conserved magnitude. We found that the current can be written in terms of the canonical stress-energy tensor and the conserved charge is similar to an angular momentum density.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Consider the invariance of a vector field by rotation, whose transformation is given by ##x_{\mu'} = x_{\mu} + \epsilon^{v}_{\mu} x_{v}## , with ## \epsilon^{v}_{\mu} = - \epsilon^{\mu}_{v}##. Determine the Noether current and the conserved magnitude.

(OBS: Don't take the index positions too literal...)

Generally it is easy to deal with these type of exercises for discrete system. But since we need to evaluate it for continuous, i am a little confused on how to do it.

Goldstein/Nivaldo gives these formulas:

h.png
g.png

I am trying to understand how do we manipulate it here to get the conserved quantity.

So supposing the field is invariant (it is necessary, right?) ##\psi = 0##.

I think we can write our transformation as ##x_{i'} = x_{i} + \epsilon_{i j} x^{j} \theta##

So the current would be $$(\frac{\partial L}{\partial n_{p,v}} n_{p,\sigma} - L \delta ^{v}_{\sigma}) \epsilon_{\sigma j} x^{j} = (\frac{\partial L}{\partial n_{p,v}} n_{p,\sigma} \epsilon_{\sigma j} x^{j} - L \epsilon_{v j} x^{j}) $$

And the conserved charge $$ (\frac{\partial L}{\partial n_{p,0}} n_{p,\sigma} \epsilon_{\sigma j} x^{j} - L \epsilon_{0 j} x^{j}) = (\pi _{p} n_{p,\sigma} \epsilon_{\sigma j} x^{j}) $$

Is that right? I was expecting a epxression similar to angular momentum, but i was not able to achieve any!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
So supposing the field is invariant (it is necessary, right?) ##\psi = 0##.
No, it is not necessary for the field to be invariant. However, unless specified otherwise, it is probably what is assumed.
Herculi said:
I think we can write our transformation as ##x_{i'} = x_{i} + \epsilon_{i j} x^{j} \theta##
We cannot because the variation of the coordinates depend on the coordinates themselves. In order to find what the transformation actually is you must integrate the differential equation
$$
\frac{dx^i}{ds} = \epsilon^i_j x^j.
$$
Compare this to an explicit rotation in two dimensions ##\delta x = -y## and ##\delta y = x## for which
$$
x \to x \cos(s) - y\sin(s), \quad y \to x\sin(s) + y\cos(s)
$$
rather than
$$
x \to x - ys, \quad y \to y + xs.
$$

However, this is irrelevant for the issue at hand since to find the conserved current we only need ##\delta x^i##.

Herculi said:
So the current would be $$(\frac{\partial L}{\partial n_{p,v}} n_{p,\sigma} - L \delta ^{v}_{\sigma}) \epsilon_{\sigma j} x^{j} = (\frac{\partial L}{\partial n_{p,v}} n_{p,\sigma} \epsilon_{\sigma j} x^{j} - L \epsilon_{v j} x^{j}) $$

Yes, although note that your reference is using ##\eta## rather than ##n##.

Herculi said:
And the conserved charge $$ (\frac{\partial L}{\partial n_{p,0}} n_{p,\sigma} \epsilon_{\sigma j} x^{j} - L \epsilon_{0 j} x^{j}) = (\pi _{p} n_{p,\sigma} \epsilon_{\sigma j} x^{j}) $$
Assuming that you defined the canonical momenta fields
$$
\pi_p = \frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_t\eta_p)}
$$
then yes.

Herculi said:
Is that right? I was expecting a epxression similar to angular momentum, but i was not able to achieve any!
Let us consider linear translations ##\delta x^i = k^i## rather than rotations. The corresponding Noether current would then be
$$
J^i = \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\eta_{p,i})} \eta_{p,j} - L\delta^i_j\right) k^j = T^i_j k^j
$$
where ##T^i_j## are the components of the canonical stress-energy tensor. (Note that the canonical stress-energy tensor is not symmetric unlike the gravitational stress-energy tensor that is obtained by varying the action with respect to the metric in GR.)

Now, the interpretation of ##T^i_j## is "the ##i## component of the conserved current associated with invariance under translations in direction ##j##" and therefore we can consider ##p_j = T^0_j## to be the momentum density in direction ##j##. Consequently, your expression for the conserved current under rotations turns into
$$
J^i = T^i_j \epsilon^j_k x^k,
$$
with charge density
$$
J^0 = p_j \epsilon^j_k x^k
$$
which very much looks like an angular momentum density. For example, considering the ##xy## rotation mentioned earlier, we would have
$$
J^0 = p_x \delta x + p_y \delta y = p_y x - p_x y.
$$

Edit: Minor ##\LaTeX## fixes.

Likes LCSphysicist

1. What is Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that relates symmetries in a physical system to conserved quantities. It was developed by mathematician Emmy Noether in the early 20th century.

2. How does Noether's theorem relate to angular momenta?

Noether's theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. In the case of rotational symmetry, this conserved quantity is angular momentum.

3. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion of a system. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of how mass is distributed in a rotating object) by the angular velocity (how fast the object is rotating).

4. How is Noether's theorem used in physics?

Noether's theorem is used to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It has been applied in various areas of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory.

5. Can Noether's theorem be applied to other symmetries besides rotational symmetry?

Yes, Noether's theorem can be applied to other symmetries such as translational symmetry (which relates to conservation of linear momentum) and time symmetry (which relates to conservation of energy).