Conserved quantities via Poisson brackets

In summary, in this conversation, the person is asking for help with a calculation involving rewriting equations and using Leibniz's rule and the Levi-Civita symbol. They are specifically trying to show that a certain term should equal 0, but are unsure if they have made a mistake in their calculations. They receive assistance in understanding the summation indices and how to properly manipulate the expression to show that it indeed equals 0.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
Show that ##L_j^{(1)}+L_j^{(2)}## is preserved
Relevant Equations
See screenshot
Hi,

Results from the previous task, which we may use
Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-15 um 19.12.52.png
I am unfortunately stuck with the following task
Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-12 um 10.48.04.png

Hi,

I have first started to rewrite the Hamiltonian and the angular momentum from vector notation to scalar notation:

$$H=\frac{1}{2m}\vec{p_1}^2+\frac{1}{2m}\vec{p_2}^2-\alpha|\vec{q_1}- \vec{q_2}|^2= \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}\frac{1}{2m}p_{1i}^2+ \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}\frac{1}{2m}p_{2i}^2-\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}(q_{1i}-q_{2i})^2$$

$$L_j^{(1)}+L_j^{(2)}=\sum\limits_{k,l}\epsilon_{jkl}q_k^{(1)}p_l^{(1)}+\sum\limits_{k,l}\epsilon_{jkl}q_k^{(2)}p_l^{(2)}$$

Before inserting the above values into the Poisson bracket, I have rewritten the Poisson bracket as follows

$$\{ H,L_j^{(1)}+L_j^{(2)} \}=\{ H,L_j^{(1)}\}+\{H,L_j^{(2)} \}$$

To save paperwork, I will now only calculate ##\{ H,L_j^{(1)}\}##. the calculation for ##L_j^{(2)## would run analogously

$$\{ \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}\frac{1}{2m}p_{1i}^2+ \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}\frac{1}{2m}p_{2i}^2-\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}(q_{1i}-q_{2i})^2, \sum\limits_{k,l}\epsilon_{jkl}q_k^{(1)}p_l^{(1)}\}$$
$$\{ \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}\frac{1}{2m}p_{1i}^2,\sum\limits_{k,l}\epsilon_{jkl}q_k^{(1)}p_l^{(1)}\}+ \{\sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}\frac{1}{2m}p_{2i}^2,\sum\limits_{k,l}\epsilon_{jkl}q_k^{(1)}p_l^{(1)}\}+ \{-\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}(q_{1i}-q_{2i})^2, \sum\limits_{k,l}\epsilon_{jkl}q_k^{(1)}p_l^{(1)}\}$$

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-12 um 10.48.04.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-12 um 10.48.04.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because of the previous problem, the terms with ##q^2## become zero, so ##\{ \vec{q}^2,L_j \}=0## also the terms with the different variables become zero and only the following term remains

$$\{-\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}(q_{1i}-q_{2i})^2, \sum\limits_{k,l}\epsilon_{jkl}q_k^{(1)}p_l^{(1)}\}$$

Now you can square the bracket off and get ##q^2## terms again, which again add up to zero, leaving only the following term.

$$\{\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}q_{1i}q_{2i}, \sum\limits_{k,l}\epsilon_{jkl}q_k^{(1)}p_l^{(1)}\}$$

For the left-hand side I have now used Leibniz's rule and the following applies to the term then ##\{q_{2i},q_k^{(1)}p_l^{(1)} \}=0## and the following term remains

$$\{\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}q_{1i}, \sum\limits_{k,l}\epsilon_{jkl}q_k^{(1)}p_l^{(1)}\}q_{2i}$$

Now you can factor out some terms and get the following representation

$$\alpha \sum\limits_{i=1}^{3}\sum\limits_{k,l}\epsilon_{jkl}\{q_{1i}, q_k^{(1)}p_l^{(1)}\}q_{2i}$$

Now you can use the result from the previous task and get

$$\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(1)}q_i^{(2)}$$

for the calculation ##\{H,L_j^{(2)} \}## I got the following ##\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(2)}q_i^{(1)}##, so I get as final result:

$$\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(1)}q_i^{(2)}+\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(2)}q_i^{(1)}$$

Actually, the result should be 0 in order to conserve the observable, have I miscalculated somewhere or can I still zero the above term with an index manipulation?

Sorry to split my calculation into two posts, but when I do the whole calculation in one post, it is not displayed correctly.

Lambda96 said:
so I get as final result:
Actually, the result should be 0
I think you are essentially there. Play with the expression above and see if you can see why it equals 0. Note that ##k## and ##i## are dummy summation indices.

Likes Lambda96
Thank you for your help TSny 👍👍

I have now proceeded as follows

Now in the second term I have swapped the indices of ##q_k^{(2)}q_i^{(1)}## to ##q_i^{(2)}q_k^{(1)}##.

$$\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(1)}q_i^{(2)}+\epsilon_{jik}q_i^{(2)}q_k^{(1)}$$

By doing this, I have made an anticyclic permutation to the Levi-Civita symbol, which makes it negative and I can write the above equation as follows.

$$\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(1)}q_i^{(2)}-\epsilon_{jik}q_i^{(2)}q_j^{(1)}=0$$

Lambda96 said:
I have now proceeded as follows

Now in the second term I have swapped the indices of ##q_k^{(2)}q_i^{(1)}## to ##q_i^{(2)}q_k^{(1)}##.

$$\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(1)}q_i^{(2)}+\epsilon_{jik}q_i^{(2)}q_k^{(1)}$$
This looks good. Note that the index ##j## is a fixed index that is not summed. It corresponds to the fixed index ##j## that you started with in the expression ##\{H, L_j^{(1)}\}##. The reason that you were allowed to swap the indices ##i## and ##k## in the second term is that you are summing over ##i## and ##k##. That is, the equality $$\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(1)}q_i^{(2)} + \epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(2)}q_i^{(1)} =\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(1)}q_i^{(2)} + \epsilon_{jik}q_i^{(2)}q_k^{(1)}$$ should actually be written as $$\sum_{k, i}\left(\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(1)}q_i^{(2)} + \epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(2)}q_i^{(1)} \right) =\sum_{k, i}\left(\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(1)}q_i^{(2)} + \epsilon_{jik}q_i^{(2)}q_k^{(1)}\right)$$ It's only because of the summation over ##i## and ##k## that we have equality of these two expressions.

Let me know if this is not clear.

Lambda96 said:
By doing this, I have made an anticyclic permutation to the Levi-Civita symbol, which makes it negative and I can write the above equation as follows.

$$\epsilon_{jki}q_k^{(1)}q_i^{(2)}-\epsilon_{jik}q_i^{(2)}q_j^{(1)}=0$$
The second term is not correct. Double-check this term to make sure this is what you intended to type. The index ##j## should still be a fixed index that occurs only in the levi-civita symbol and a summation over ##k## and ##i## should be included.

Thank you for your help and explanation TSny 👍👍👍

In my notes I had included the sum over k and had unfortunately forgotten to include this in my post 4, but in my notes I had forgotten the sum over i in the course of the calculation, thanks to your explanation I have now noticed this, thank you very much.

Unfortunately I can't quite understand why I wrote j instead of k in my last equation, probably I just did too much index notation the last couple of days :smile:

Thanks again for your help 👍

Likes TSny
One can also argue without any calculation ;-)). The total angular momentum ##\vec{J}=\vec{L}^{(1)}+\vec{L}^{(2)}## generate rotations for all vector quantities of both systems, from this you get that ##\vec{V}^{(j)} \cdot \vec{W}^{(k)}## as scalars commute with all components of ##\vec{J}##.

1. What are conserved quantities and why are they important in physics?

Conserved quantities are physical quantities that remain constant over time in a closed system. They are important in physics because they provide a way to understand and predict the behavior of a system, and can be used to solve complex problems in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the role of Poisson brackets in determining conserved quantities?

Poisson brackets are a mathematical tool used to calculate the time evolution of a physical system. They help determine the rate of change of a quantity with respect to time, and can be used to identify conserved quantities by finding quantities that do not change over time.

3. How are Poisson brackets related to Hamiltonian mechanics?

Poisson brackets are closely related to Hamiltonian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of a physical system. The Hamiltonian of a system is defined in terms of Poisson brackets, and the equations of motion can be derived using Poisson brackets.

4. Can conserved quantities be used to simplify complex physical problems?

Yes, conserved quantities can be used to simplify complex physical problems by reducing the number of variables that need to be considered. By identifying conserved quantities, a problem can be reduced to a smaller set of equations, making it easier to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using Poisson brackets to determine conserved quantities?

While Poisson brackets are a powerful tool for determining conserved quantities, they are limited to classical mechanics and cannot be used in quantum mechanics. Additionally, they may not always be able to identify all conserved quantities in a system, especially in cases of non-linear dynamics.