Stream video from Arduino wirelessly

In summary, the goal is to be able to control the car over the internet from anywhere using a C# program to connect to the home ip through a specific port that's forwarded to the WiShield.
gotem3303
I want to make an RC car that I can control in two ways. One would be over local wifi and I am actually watching the car and controlling it with my iPhone using touchOSC. The Arduino is using the http://asynclabs.com/" to connect to the wireless network at home or Ad-Hoc when no network is available.

The second way would be remotely from anywhere, by using a C# program I would write myself that could make a socket connection with the WiShield and get live streaming video sent to my computer while I am able to control the car using the C# program as well.

At least for the first way of controlling I know how to approach it. However, for the second way I am kind of unsure.

First, would there be anyway for me to stream the video directly through the socket connection? Or would I have to do something I've seen videos of where a router is connected to the car and used for the processing of the video and then it transmits it?

The whole goal is to be able to control it over the internet from anywhere by using the C# program to connect to my home ip through a specific port that's forwarded to my WiShield. Once connected I would be able to drive the car and get live video streaming.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not with an arduino - it really doesn't have anything like the processing power to handle video.
You would need something like a beagleboard.org

You could maybe do it with an Arduino Mega 2560 which has a lot more oomph than the standard ATmega328 based Arduino's.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9949

I'm not exactly a software/Wifi person so I can't really answer your questions but I do know that they are a lot of projects like this out on the web that you could look for.

@gotem3303: Were you ever able to find a solution? I am trying to accomplish the same exact task.

Thanks, Arquiel

Arquiel said:
@gotem3303: Were you ever able to find a solution? I am trying to accomplish the same exact task.

Thanks, Arquiel

I was able to build the project, but not as I described originally.

I attached a Linksys router to the car and connected an IP camera to it. I also used an Arduino with the Ethernet shield and plugged it into the router as well. The camera used a specific port and so did the Arduino. I sent commands to the Arduino using UDP.

I wrote an iPhone app and C# windows application that would allow me to view the feed from the IP camera and also send UDP commands to the arduino to control it.

Gotcha. How was the quality? My project requires decent FPS (12-15). Anything lower and you'll have a crashed helicopter before you know it.

Arquiel said:
Gotcha. How was the quality? My project requires decent FPS (12-15). Anything lower and you'll have a crashed helicopter before you know it.

Quality was ok, but definitely could've been better. I am not sure abut the FPS it had. The camera I used was the Panasonic BL-VP101P, which was the cheapest one I could find at the time. A more expensive camera may give better results.

Maybe a Raspberry Pi with a webcam and wifi would work better? The option wasn't available at the time but I would definitely consider that option if I had to do it all again.

That's closer to the plan. (Pi arrives in mail tomorrow). I wanted to just control the device (networked-Arduino-driven RC) through a Pi acting as a server, but its sounding like a little more horsepower needs to be within the device itself.

What I'm thinking though is to build a setup similar to your original except that the cam and the Arduino would be wirelessly networked, rather than wired.

Thanks for the updates!

1. How can I stream video from an Arduino wirelessly?

To stream video from an Arduino wirelessly, you will need to use a wireless transmission module, such as an ESP8266 or NRF24L01, and a camera module compatible with the Arduino. You will also need to code the Arduino to capture and transmit the video data to the receiving device.

2. Can I stream high-quality video from an Arduino wirelessly?

The quality of video streaming from an Arduino wirelessly will depend on the capabilities of the wireless transmission module and camera module you are using. While it may not be able to achieve the same quality as professional video streaming devices, you can still achieve decent quality with the right components and coding.

3. Is it difficult to stream video from an Arduino wirelessly?

The difficulty level of streaming video from an Arduino wirelessly will depend on your level of experience with coding and working with electronic components. If you have some experience with Arduino and wireless modules, it should not be too difficult to set up. However, if you are new to these technologies, it may take some time to learn and troubleshoot any issues.

4. What are the advantages of streaming video from an Arduino wirelessly?

One of the main advantages of streaming video from an Arduino wirelessly is the ability to transmit live video data from a remote location without the need for physical wires or cables. This can be useful in surveillance or monitoring applications. Additionally, using an Arduino can be more cost-effective compared to purchasing a professional video streaming device.

5. Are there any limitations to streaming video from an Arduino wirelessly?

Some limitations to streaming video from an Arduino wirelessly may include the range and stability of the wireless transmission, as well as the processing power and memory of the Arduino itself. Additionally, the video quality may not be as high as professional streaming devices. It is important to choose high-quality components and optimize your code to minimize these limitations.