How can I stream video over USB from an analog camera to a Windows 8 tablet?

• Thread starter xortan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb Video
In summary: The project is to control a camera on a tablet using a Windows 8 program. The "black box" is in between the camera and the tablet and is responsible for power management, sending commands from the tablet to the camera, and relaying back the video signal. The commands from the tablet and the video signal to the tablet needs to be done over a USB cable. Currently, the project is confused about how to also stream the video back to the PC.
xortan
Hello everyone,

So first I'll give an overview of the project that I am working on. We have a camera system that we wish to control on a Windows 8 tablet. The program on the tablet will need to display the video signal and also be able to issue commands to the camera (currently, just change the brightness of the LEDs).

There is a "black box" in between the camera and the tablet, which is what I am working on. This "black box" is responsible for power management, sending commands from the tablet to the camera, and relaying back the video signal.

Both the commands from the tablet and the video signal to the tablet needs to be done over a USB cable.

Currently I've gotten the power management figured out. I can also send and receive commands from my desktop to an Atemega328P. The USB connects to an FT232 which converts to UART and everything is good, I can issue a command and see the response.

Now, where I am getting confused is how to also implement streaming the video back to the PC. The video signal coming from the camera is analog and in the format of NTSC or PAL (will need to handle both eventually). I do not know much about USB but I have spent some time drowning in USB 2.0 documentation and USB Video Class protocol documentation.

I figure I will need to digitize the analog video signal before transmitting it over USB somehow. However, with constantly streaming to the tablet I am not sure how I would issue commands back to the "black box" without interrupting the video signal.

This could also be a software issue where it can be accomplished with careful management of the packets being sent, I just don't know.

Any insights on would be appreciated and if you would like more information please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.

-Xortan

Engineering news on Phys.org
USB on PCs is capable of connecting to multiple devices simultaneously via a hub. You will have to check if the tablet will support a hub.

If you must use your existing camera instead of a USB camera you will need a USB TV adapter to digitize the output. They are not expensive.

1. How does streaming video over USB work?

Streaming video over USB is a process by which video data is transmitted from a source device, such as a computer or smartphone, to a display device through a USB cable. The video data is encoded using a specific format and then decoded by the display device to be viewed as video content.

2. What are the benefits of streaming video over USB?

Streaming video over USB offers several benefits, including high quality video playback, low latency, and a reliable connection. It also allows for easy and convenient transfer of video data between devices.

3. Can any USB cable be used for streaming video?

No, not all USB cables are capable of streaming video. The USB cable must be able to support the necessary bandwidth and data transfer rates for video streaming. It is recommended to use a USB 3.0 or higher cable for optimal performance.

4. What devices are compatible with streaming video over USB?

Many devices are compatible with streaming video over USB, including computers, smartphones, tablets, and TVs. However, it is important to ensure that the device has the necessary hardware and software capabilities to support video streaming over USB.

5. Is streaming video over USB a secure method of transferring video data?

Yes, streaming video over USB is a secure method of transferring video data. The data is encrypted during transmission and can only be decoded by the receiving device, ensuring the privacy and security of the video content.