Possible to turn Android phone into Wii style remote?

In summary, the person is trying to control a motorized car with an Arduino using the gyroscope and accelerometer on a smartphone. They are looking for help from others to figure out how to do this.
Nietzsche_Keen
I can find instructions and videos everyone for how to control a remote control car with buttons on a smartphone screen. However, what I'M hoping to do is control an arduino equipped motorized car using the gyroscope and accelerometer contained within the phone. I have found the Wireless IMU app, but from what I can tell, it seems to only transmit to Matlab.

My goal is to make a toy car for my son that he can control by moving the phone. If I could just figure out how to get the accelerometer and Z coordinates to transmit through bluetooth to the arduino.

Hopefully someone can help me out here. For the record, I'm totally unfamiliar at Matlab at this point. I'm only at a very beginner level with arduino as well. I'm doing this project to learn more about all of the above.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's a development tool for Android called AIDE (android app store) where you can write java code on the phone. from there, you'll need to find how to read the accelerometer:

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/sensors_overview.html

and then find the API for communicating with Bluetooth.

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/bluetooth.html

the AIDE page is here:

http://www.android-ide.com/

The AIDE is good for quick apps. You don't need to worry about some issues like a development environment on your PC with Java JDK, the Android SDK and how to access your phone in developer mode...

Alternatively you could look up the Processing IDE, follow some tutorials to connect it to the ADK and do your development on your PC.

However, the most formal and best way is the Eclipse based Android environment complete with debuggers... Its the environment most professionals will use.

Anyway, there are tutorials and books that will tell you everything you need to know to get started,

Thanks so much! I don't know what most of that stuff is, but I look forward to learning!

1. Is it possible to turn an Android phone into a Wii style remote?

Yes, it is possible to turn an Android phone into a Wii style remote with the use of certain apps and software.

2. What apps or software are needed to turn an Android phone into a Wii style remote?

Some popular apps and software used for this purpose include Wiimote Controller, Wii Controller IME, and GlovePIE.

3. Can any Android phone be used as a Wii style remote?

Not all Android phones are compatible with these apps and software. It is important to check the compatibility before attempting to use the phone as a Wii remote.

4. Are there any limitations to using an Android phone as a Wii style remote?

Yes, there may be some limitations depending on the specific app or software being used. For example, some apps may not support all Wii games and may have limited functionality compared to an actual Wii remote.

5. Is it safe to use an Android phone as a Wii style remote?

As with any use of technology, there are always potential risks involved. It is important to download apps and software from trusted sources and to follow all safety precautions when using the phone as a Wii remote.