Statics: Bending of a beam/evenly distributed force problem

In summary, the conversation is about a statics problem involving finding the largest bending stress in two incisions. The solution involves using the formula Mb = FA*aA-q*2.5m*1.25, but the person is confused about where the 1.25 comes from. They also ask for clarification on the symbols used, including aA and Mb, and ask for guidance on how to calculate the reactions at A and B. They are instructed to write an equation for the bending moments using x as the horizontal axis and starting at x=0 at A.
hattori_hanzo
Hello, and sorry for my English, as I am Norwegian.

I have a statics problem which I can not understand.

I've taken a pic from my book:
eFcrt.jpg

The problem asks me to find the largest bending stress, σb, in the incisions 1 and 2.

I have the solution in front of me, I just don't understand what they have done with the evenly distributed force (q). Especially in incision 2, when they find Mb, they have used: Mb = FA*aA-q*2.5m*1.25.

The q*2.5m I can understand, but where does the 1.25 come from? I thought it should be divided by 2?

Can someone explain how this works for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Especially in incision 2, when they find Mb, they have used: Mb = FA*aA-q*2.5m*1.25.

Please confirm what the symbols stand for.

In particular what is aA and Mb ?

You have not provided symbols for the reactions at A and B?
Do you know how to calculate these reactions?

You should start by writing the equation for the bending moments for 16.2 and 16.3, using x for the horizontal axis and starting with x=0 at A. Can you do this?
It will have the form M = some function of x and the loads to the left of x.

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It involves analyzing and understanding the forces acting on an object and how those forces affect its equilibrium.

2. What is bending of a beam?

Bending of a beam refers to the deformation of a beam when a force is applied to it. This force causes the beam to bend or flex, and the amount of bending depends on the material properties and the magnitude and location of the force.

3. How is evenly distributed force applied to a beam?

An evenly distributed force, also known as a uniform load, is applied to a beam by exerting a constant force over the entire length of the beam. This type of force can be represented by a straight line on a diagram, with the slope of the line indicating the magnitude of the force.

4. What factors affect the bending of a beam?

The bending of a beam is affected by various factors, including the material properties of the beam, the magnitude and location of the applied force, and the geometry of the beam (such as its length and cross-sectional shape).

5. How is the bending of a beam calculated?

The bending of a beam can be calculated using various equations and formulas, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation or the moment-area method. These calculations take into account the factors mentioned above and can be solved using mathematical techniques or numerical methods.