Register to reply

Statics: Bending of a beam/evenly distributed force problem

by hattori_hanzo
Tags: beam or evenly, bending, distributed, force, statics
Share this thread:
hattori_hanzo
Jan17-13, 02:01 PM
P: 8
Hello, and sorry for my English, as I am Norwegian.

I have a statics problem which I can not understand.

I've taken a pic from my book:

The problem asks me to find the largest bending stress, σb, in the incisions 1 and 2.

I have the solution in front of me, I just don't understand what they have done with the evenly distributed force (q). Especially in incision 2, when they find Mb, they have used: Mb = FA*aA-q*2.5m*1.25.

The q*2.5m I can understand, but where does the 1.25 come from? I thought it should be divided by 2?

Can someone explain how this works for me?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
New non-metallic metamaterial enables team to 'compress' and contain light
Studiot
Jan17-13, 03:11 PM
P: 5,462
Especially in incision 2, when they find Mb, they have used: Mb = FA*aA-q*2.5m*1.25.
Please confirm what the symbols stand for.

In particular what is aA and Mb ?

You have not provided symbols for the reactions at A and B?
Do you know how to calculate these reactions?

You should start by writing the equation for the bending moments for 16.2 and 16.3, using x for the horizontal axis and starting with x=0 at A. Can you do this?
It will have the form M = some function of x and the loads to the left of x.

Register to reply