Statics: Bending of a beam/evenly distributed force problem

by hattori_hanzo
Tags: beam or evenly, bending, distributed, force, statics
hattori_hanzo
Jan17-13, 02:01 PM
P: 8
Hello, and sorry for my English, as I am Norwegian.

I have a statics problem which I can not understand.

I've taken a pic from my book:

The problem asks me to find the largest bending stress, σb, in the incisions 1 and 2.

I have the solution in front of me, I just don't understand what they have done with the evenly distributed force (q). Especially in incision 2, when they find Mb, they have used: Mb = FA*aA-q*2.5m*1.25.

The q*2.5m I can understand, but where does the 1.25 come from? I thought it should be divided by 2?

Can someone explain how this works for me?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Studiot
Jan17-13, 03:11 PM
P: 5,462
Especially in incision 2, when they find Mb, they have used: Mb = FA*aA-q*2.5m*1.25.
Please confirm what the symbols stand for.

In particular what is aA and Mb ?

You have not provided symbols for the reactions at A and B?
Do you know how to calculate these reactions?

You should start by writing the equation for the bending moments for 16.2 and 16.3, using x for the horizontal axis and starting with x=0 at A. Can you do this?
It will have the form M = some function of x and the loads to the left of x.

Register to reply