Base Motion and Vertical Beam - Basic Reaction Forces?

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the vertical beam shown would experience a deflection due to the inertial force acting on it.
sabz333
TL;DR Summary
Trying to understand forces acting on vertical beam being accelerated at the base.
Capture.PNG

So I am trying to understand how to estimate the amount of deflection [D] the vertical beam shown above would experience if the base it is attached to is accelerating at a constant acceleration [a] of 9.81 m/s.

I assume the Force [F] would be equal to weight of the vertical beam (mass x gravity) as that would be the reaction force? or is this too much of an oversimplification?

I have the equations correct to calculate beam deflection I just need to understand the force it is seeing and can't wrap my head around it not simply being a reaction force to parts weight.

D = (F*Height^3) / (3*E*I)

E = Youngs Modulus
I = Second Moment of Area

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The force ##\mathbf{F}## is an inertial force and satisfies ##\mathbf{F} = -m\mathbf{a} = m|\mathbf{a}| \hat{\mathbf{x}}##; it acts at the centre of mass of the vertical beam. The point of application is important, because it determines the numerical pre-factor in the beam deflection formula. (##m## is the mass of the vertical beam).

Likes sabz333
Yes ok perfect, I just wanted to make sure I was thinking about this correctly!
So the Force being seen by the top of the vertical beam is equal to the acceleration of the base multiplied by the weight of the beam.

Corrected it for you :)
sabz333 said:
So the Force being seen by the top centre of the vertical beam is equal to the acceleration of the base multiplied by the weight mass of the beam.

In the longer term, you are modeling an inverted pendulum that will have stored energy and a resonant frequency.

ergospherical said:
The force ##\mathbf{F}## is an inertial force and satisfies ##\mathbf{F} = -m\mathbf{a} = m|\mathbf{a}| \hat{\mathbf{x}}##; it acts at the centre of mass of the vertical beam.
The inertial force acts unifomly on the entire beam. Just like uniform gravitation, so those two can be combined into a single uniform field. Uniform fields by themselves don't cause deformation, but the force acting on the base does.

Technically inertial forces don’t act anywhere, since they’re not actually forces but rather terms arising from the frame transformation. So just choose the most convenient description.

ergospherical said:
Technically inertial forces don’t act anywhere, since they’re not actually forces but rather terms arising from the frame transformation. So just choose the most convenient description.
The most convenient description, that still gives you the correct answer to the question. For the question of deformation it makes a difference whether you assume the force acts at the CoM or is distributed over the entire beam.

Last edited:
Likes ergospherical and Lnewqban
As your inertial load is not punctual at mid-span, your case is similar to the one shown in this picture:

Attachments

• 415A9B71-B6E8-47E5-865D-6EAD0756AFBE.png
    415A9B71-B6E8-47E5-865D-6EAD0756AFBE.png
    1,013 bytes · Views: 91
A.T. said:
The most convenient description, that still gives you the correct answer to the question. For the question of deformation it makes a difference whether you assume the force acts at the CoM or is distibuted over the entire beam.
That's fair, you're right!

Likes A.T. and Lnewqban

1. What is base motion in relation to vertical beam?

Base motion refers to the movement or displacement of the foundation or base of a structure. In the context of a vertical beam, it refers to the horizontal movement of the base of the beam.

2. How does base motion affect the vertical beam?

Base motion can cause the vertical beam to experience lateral or horizontal forces, which can result in bending or deformation of the beam. This can impact the structural stability and integrity of the beam.

3. What are reaction forces in a vertical beam?

Reaction forces are the forces that are exerted on a beam at its supports or points of connection. These forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the external forces acting on the beam.

4. How do you calculate reaction forces in a vertical beam?

To calculate reaction forces in a vertical beam, you need to consider the external forces acting on the beam and the geometry of the beam. The sum of the reaction forces must be equal to the sum of the external forces in order for the beam to be in equilibrium.

5. How can you minimize the effects of base motion on a vertical beam?

One way to minimize the effects of base motion on a vertical beam is to design the foundation or base of the structure to be strong and stable. Additionally, using appropriate supports and connections can help distribute the forces and minimize the impact on the vertical beam.