Finding the Axis of Rotation with Given CoG and Force Point

In summary: No, there will be a unique axis of rotation. In summary, the axis of rotation passes through the point where the torque produced by gravity and external force is zero.
pointdexter16
TL;DR Summary
I want to determine the axis of rotation of a body which is falling under the influence of gravity and an external force is acting on a specific point on it.
[Mentor Note: See post #10 below for an updated problem statement using LaTeX and with a better drawing]

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-03 at 1.04.51 AM.jpeg
421dbcd3-7628-44db-b6ec-3ab215768f24.jpg

what i want is to find the axis of rotation when the centre of gravity and point on which external force is acting is given along with the magnitude and direction of force. In the example that i used to illustrate the above problem i have taken a simple case where centre of gravity is the centre of the square as mass is uniformly distributed and the point where external force is acting is the bottom left corner of the square.When i was looking for how to determine the axis of rotation it was given that it passes through the point where the torque produce by both gravity and external force is zero therefore making it a point which won't go through rotational motion.Now i tried to determine the point my solving the equation but i ended but with 2 variable in the end which concludes that there will an array of points which intern means that there will be multiple axis of rotation though i believe that i am making some mistake cause intuitively i feels like there should only be one.i am open to other approaches to this problem.please excuse me for my sloppy writing .Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

pointdexter16 said:
Please excuse me for my sloppy writing .Thank you
For future posts, please see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. That will help you post math equations here at PF. Thanks. :smile:

Likes Vanadium 50
I can't follow the sketch (so I agree with @berkeman ) but let me ask you two questions:
1. What is the torque on the object?
2. What is its center of mass?

Welcome, @pointdexter16 !

Why is the center of mass located all the way to the left end of the falling body?
It is very hard to see your diagram, sorry.

I am referring to "centre of gravity is the centre of the square as mass is uniformly distributed and the point where external force is acting is the bottom left corner of the square."

May it be bottom right corner instead?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. For future posts, please see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. That will help you post math equations here at PF. Thanks. :smile:
ohh thank you will keep in mind

Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @pointdexter16 !

Why is the center of mass located all the way to the left end of the falling body?
It is very hard to see your diagram, sorry.

I am referring to "centre of gravity is the centre of the square as mass is uniformly distributed and the point where external force is acting is the bottom left corner of the square."

May it be bottom right corner instead?
yup you are right i typed left instead of right should i repost the problem with better formatting?

Vanadium 50 said:
I can't follow the sketch (so I agree with @berkeman ) but let me ask you two questions:
1. What is the torque on the object?
2. What is its center of mass?
1.to calculate torque we need a point right with respect to which we can calculate torque so what i am trying to achieve is find a point where the torque produced by gravity and external force is zero so that i can consider it as a point through which axis of rotation passes.
2.centre of mass and centre of gravity are the geometric centre of the body

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. For future posts, please see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. That will help you post math equations here at PF. Thanks. :smile:
should i repost

pointdexter16 said:
should i repost
You can just add a new post below with your corrections and LaTeX. When you do that let me know, and I'll add a note to your first post to let folks know to skip ahead to the improved/corrected post. :smile:

I am basing this off on the fact that axis of rotation passes through the point which has a net total of zero torque so in order to find the point i will choose a random point and solve so that the torque produced by gravity and the external force is zero.
things that are give or know:

1.dimensions of the body(square)
2.centre of mass and centre of gravity coincides and are equal to geometric centre
3.point at which the external force is acting
4.theta
5.magnitude and direction of gravitational and external force
6.distance between centre and point on which external force is acting
##r1.g.cos(90-\alpha-\theta)=r2.t.cos(90-\theta+\beta)##
##r1.g.sin(\alpha+\theta)=r2.t.sin(\theta-\beta)##
##r1.g.(sin(\alpha).cos(\theta)+sin(\theta).cos(\alpha))=r2.t.(sin(\theta).cos(\beta)-sin(\beta).cos(\theta))##
##r1.g.((h/r1).cos(\theta)+sin(\theta).(d1/r1))=r2.t.(sin(\theta).(d2/r2)-(h/r2).cos(\theta))##
take r1 and r2 common and cancel
##g.((h).cos(\theta)+sin(\theta).(d1))=t.(sin(\theta).(d2)-(h).cos(\theta))##
##D=d1+d2##
still after substituting values there will be always two unknown variable so there won't be a unique solution
Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 12.01.20 AM.png

berkeman said:
You can just add a new post below with your corrections and LaTeX. When you do that let me know, and I'll add a note to your first post to let folks know to skip ahead to the improved/corrected post. :smile:
done!!

Likes berkeman
Is the body those two bars?

erobz said:
Is the body those two bars?
it's a square in the sketch only the bottom right part is visible

pointdexter16 said:
it's a square in the sketch only the bottom right part is visible
So the body is just a flat plate?

erobz said:
So the body is just a flat plate?
yes with zero thickness

pointdexter16 said:
yes with zero thickness
So it has no mass?

it's not zero but close to that
i took that as the case so that i can solve it in 2D

erobz said:
So it has no mass?
if you want you can consider it as a cube but then the the point on which the external force is acting is at the bottom right corner but it's z coordinate is equal to the z coordinate of the centre of the cube such that the torque produced in the z axis is zero

pointdexter16 said:
if you want you can consider it as a cube but then the the point on which the external force is acting is at the bottom right corner but it's z coordinate is equal to the z coordinate of the centre of the cube such that the torque produced in the z axis is zero
Ok, so you want to ignore the fact that the force is applied out of plane. So its a 2D square with some mass evenly distributed, and a force is acting on its lower right corner. What is the nature of the force e.g. its direction and magnitude? How is it being applied?

direction->perpendicular to lower surface, magnitude->t

pointdexter16 said:
direction->perpendicular to lower surface,
Perpendicular to the lower edge throughout the motion?
pointdexter16 said:
magnitude->t
t? ( terrible choice for the name of the force by the way- may I suggest instead ##F##) is it a constant magnitude or one that varies in time? Or is it just perhaps an impulsive force ( applied over very short duration of time)?

erobz said:
Perpendicular to the lower edge throughout the motion?

t? ( terrible choice for the name of the force by the way- may I suggest instead ##F##) is it a constant magnitude or one that varies in time? Or is it just perhaps an impulsive force ( applied over very short duration of time)?
t->thrust
constant

pointdexter16 said:
t->thrust
constant
Lowercase ##t## is usually reserved for time.

And the direction? Always perpendicular to the lower edge, even as the body rotates?

yes its a thruster attached there
ok got the t thing will keep in mind
erobz said:
Lowercase ##t## is usually reserved for time.

And the direction? Always perpendicular to the lower edge, even as the body rotates?

Likes erobz
As far as I can tell, this is what you are talking about. At some time ##t=0## we have the initial state:

1683238438052.png

Then at some later time ##t## the system has evolved to:

1683238613397.png

Is this good?

erobz said:
As far as I can tell, this is what you are talking about. At some time ##t=0## we have the initial state:

View attachment 325953

Then at some later time ##t## the system has evolved to:

View attachment 325955
Is this good?
yes but Ft is acting upward

1683240696884.png

and

1683240713499.png

?

Familiar with Newtons Second Laws?

Last edited:
pointdexter16 said:
yes
Ok, well go ahead and write them down to describe ##x(t), y(t), \theta(t)##.

erobz said:
Ok, well go ahead and write them down to describe ##x(t), y(t), \theta(t)##.
Ok

pointdexter16 said:
Ok
Turns out I was a little hasty of suggesting to find a closed form for ##x(t)## and ##y(t)##. You can write the equations down, but I think it results in some non-elementary integrals involving ##\sin \left( kt^2 \right)##, and ##\cos \left( kt^2 \right)##...

See: Fresnal Integral

Last edited:
erobz said:
Turns out I was a little hasty of suggesting to find a closed form for ##x(t)## and ##y(t)##. You can write the equations down, but I think it results in some non-elementary integrals involving ##\sin \left( kt^2 \right)##, and ##\cos \left( kt^2 \right)##...

See: Fresnal Integral
If possible could you provide me with the whole solution

pointdexter16 said:
If possible could you provide me with the whole solution
Sorry, No. I can't. But you can write down Newtons Second Laws for the is object and figure out what I'm talking about. Afterword, if you are still curious then take it to the Mathematicians in here to see what they can do with it.

What is the "Axis of Rotation"?

The "Axis of Rotation" refers to an imaginary line around which an object rotates or spins. It is the center point of rotation for a given object.

How is the Axis of Rotation determined?

The Axis of Rotation can be determined by finding the point where the center of gravity (CoG) and the force point intersect. This is known as the "Moment of Inertia" and it represents the balance point of the object.

Why is it important to find the Axis of Rotation?

Finding the Axis of Rotation is important in understanding the rotational motion of an object. It can help predict how an object will behave when subjected to external forces and can also aid in designing structures and machines.

What is the relationship between the CoG, force point, and Axis of Rotation?

The CoG and force point are both factors that contribute to the location of the Axis of Rotation. The CoG represents the center of mass of an object, while the force point is the point at which a force is applied to the object. The intersection of these two points determines the location of the Axis of Rotation.

Are there any limitations to this method of finding the Axis of Rotation?

Yes, this method assumes that the object is rigid and does not take into account any deformations or changes in shape. It also assumes that the object is only subjected to a single force. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation may be affected by measurement errors or uncertainties in the values used for the CoG and force point.