Astro Physics Project Ideas for my National Science Fair

In summary, a 16-year-old student is seeking advice on how to win their national science fair with a focus on astrophysics. They have been interested in space since their father showed them a documentary at the age of 10 and they are looking for ideas that can be completed without access to an international space station. They have reached out to their science teacher and local university, but are now seeking advanced ideas from the science community online. The student is from Ireland and recognizes that the American science culture may have more advanced ideas to offer. They are open to suggestions and have provided some information on their interests and current resources.
emshine
Hi,

I'm 16 years old and I really want to win my national science fair. I'm fascinated by all things space and I have been addicted to astrophysics ever since my Dad showed me a documentry on the discovery channel when I was ten.

I was wondering if anyone could put me on the right path and give me suitable ideas that could be completed without needing an international space station at my disposal. The competition is of a very high standard.

I would be grateful for any input or ideas no matter how big or small.

Thank you.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
emshine, Welcome to Physics Forums!

You’ve posted this in the “General Astronomy” Forum. Notice please, that it would have been more appropriate if it was in the “Astrophysics” Forum.

Here are a few websites that may give you some ideas:
http://www.super-science-fair-projects.com/astronomy/astrophysics-based-science-fair-projects.html [Broken]
http://www.juliantrubin.com/schooldirectory/astronomyresources.html [Broken]
http://www.astrosurf.com/joseribeiro/Eindex.htm

If during your project you have specific questions or doubts, do come back here and post them. Members here at Physics Forums are always willing to assist a true searcher trying to learn more natural science. Good Luck in the Science Fair!

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! Sorry, I didn't see the astro physics section, silly me!

The school district in the city I live in has a designated teacher in each high school, and a liaison person at the district, who coordinate science fair activities. They attempt to find mentors in students' areas of interest. The mentors are, variously, volunteers from a company in a related industry, professors or grad students at the local university, etc. One student who studied the strength of bridges was able to work with a civil engineer at the local Dept. of Transportation and to use their hydraulic presses and failure analysis equipment. To start, I suggest you find out whether your school and district have similar resources, and make use of them if they exist.

Thank you for your help!

I recognise this is an American website and I'm actually Irish, so we don't really have any science liaisons or anything like that. I asked my science teacher for help but I think I know more about Astro Physics than he does!

I have contacted my local University but they don't have anything to help me with the topic I'm interested in.

That's my main reason for asking this question online. As (I'm presuming your American, apologies if you're not) you have a greater science culture and attitude than in Ireland, I was wondering if you have any advanced ideas that my counterparts wouldn't dream about!

Thanks again for your input, I'm taking everything on board

emshine, Here on Physics Forums we have members and visitors from all around the world. We welcome you.

Science is Universal. My laser interferometer first operated in California. I moved to Florida and it functioned exactly the same there. Then I moved to Turkey, to Taiwan, and finally to Brasil. Each time I proved that the same scientific laws applied wherever in the world I operated it. Our professors had taught us this and so did our textbooks. But by doing the actual experiment my faith in the universality of the laws grew stronger. Accordingly, the laws that govern Astrophysics ought to apply in Ireland. Since Astrophysicists are found in nearly every country on Earth there is no political border that divides these scientists in their work.

Will you list those parts of Astrophysics that have caught your interest so far?
What areas would you want to learn more about?
What books do you have?
What websites do you use?
This information may help members here on Physics Forums make suggestions.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Edit: Here's a site for you: http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/science_fair_projects_encyclopedia/Astrophysics [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is astro physics?

Astro physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It combines principles from physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the nature and origin of the universe.

2. What are some project ideas for my national science fair?

Some project ideas for astro physics at a national science fair could include studying the effects of gravity on planetary orbits, exploring the properties of black holes, or investigating the behavior of dark matter in the universe. Other ideas could include creating a model of the solar system or designing experiments to test the properties of different types of stars.

3. How can I incorporate astro physics into my project?

You can incorporate astro physics into your project by choosing a specific topic or question to investigate and using principles and methods from the field to answer it. This could involve conducting experiments, creating models, or analyzing data related to celestial objects and their behavior.

4. What resources can I use to research my project?

There are many resources available for researching astro physics projects, including books, scientific journals, online databases, and educational websites. You can also reach out to experts in the field, such as professors or researchers, for guidance and advice.

5. How can I make my project stand out at the science fair?

To make your project stand out at the science fair, consider choosing a unique or cutting-edge topic, conducting thorough research and experimentation, and presenting your findings in a creative and visually appealing way. You can also practice your presentation skills and be prepared to confidently explain your project to the judges and other attendees.