I need an engineering project for my Science Fair

In summary: It was a robot that could swim.In summary, the author is looking for ideas for a science fair project and is desperate. He has three days left and is looking for something fast and easy. Ideas include a Chinese Rainbow Bridge, a ball-like structure that can be dropped and protect something, magnet trains, and origami.
Ryan Ferguson
Hi! Thank you for reading and (hopefully) responding. I am really desperate right now. For my science fair project, I need to build something that works or does a task. Last year my friends built a linear accelerator and someone else built a potato gun. These are things that work. I desperately need ideas. I know I'm lazy and stupid for waiting until the last minute, but I couldn't think of anything. I have until this Friday to get it done. My dad has a garage and a lot of tools and spare parts to mess around with, and I have money if I need to buy anything, although I would like it to be inexpensive. Please tell me some engineering projects to do. Even some experiment ideas that could be done really soon would be amazing. I appreciate all the help and I hope I can get this done.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Have you tried searching the internet for ideas?

The classic ones would be a trebuchet or catapult.

There's a book entitled Mini-Weapons of Mass Destruction where various miniature weapons are built. Perhaps you could scale one up a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1556529538/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another idea would to construct a ball-like structure that can be dropped some height and protect anything stored inside it using bungee cords.

Here's a website where you can find more ideas:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/Intro-Mechanical-Engineering.shtml

Lastly, you could look into origami and see if you can some cool engineering idea with origami principles.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/search.shtml?v=&s=origami

Thank you for responding. I've been looking and bawling my eyes out like a baby for the past 4 hours. I'm hopeless. I see all these idea but none of them seem possible. I'll keep looking but I would appreciate more. I only have three days left. I need something fast. I'm going to try and stay up for most of tonight and keep looking.

For a last minute project I would do a web search for magnet trains. I portion of a day for fabrication and another section that explains how magnetic fileds can be used for propulsion. Easy supplies and construction with a pretty good wow factor.

Barnes and Noble has robotic kits, snap electric circuits, and stuff like that. Microcenter (if you live near one) and other places has arduino controllers. The controllers need you to download software to your computer to work. Raspberry pi ? but that might be complicated. Put together pulleys and explain how they work. I went to one Jr High science fair and I saw this.

1. What makes a good engineering project for a Science Fair?

A good engineering project for a Science Fair should involve a problem or challenge that can be solved through design, construction, and testing. It should also have a clear purpose and a measurable outcome. Bonus points if it addresses a real-world issue or incorporates innovative technology!

2. How do I come up with an idea for an engineering project?

Start by identifying a problem or challenge that you are passionate about. This could be something that you have observed in your daily life or a topic that you have learned about in school. Then, brainstorm possible solutions and choose the one that is most feasible and interesting to you.

3. Do I need to have a background in engineering to create a project for the Science Fair?

No, you do not need to have a formal background in engineering to create a project for the Science Fair. However, having basic knowledge of scientific principles and the engineering process can be helpful. You can also seek guidance from a teacher or mentor who has experience in engineering.

4. What materials and resources do I need for my engineering project?

The materials and resources needed for an engineering project will depend on the specific project you choose. Generally, you will need basic tools and materials such as paper, pencils, rulers, and scissors. You may also need specific materials for building and testing your project, such as Legos, motors, or circuitry kits. It's important to plan ahead and gather all necessary materials before starting your project.

5. How do I test and evaluate the success of my engineering project?

Testing and evaluating the success of your engineering project will involve following the steps of the engineering design process. You will need to set up a testable hypothesis, design and build your project, and then test it multiple times to gather data. Once you have collected your data, you can analyze and evaluate the results to determine the success of your project. Don't forget to document your process and results for your Science Fair presentation!