High School Science Fair Ideas: Unique Research Projects

In summary, a high school student is taking an independent research class and is looking for ideas for a science fair project. They have access to materials, but are limited by their grade level. Suggestions for possible projects include building a cloud chamber, measuring the size of a photon (which is not possible), and conducting experiments with photodiodes and LED's. It is recommended for the student to have a sponsor or guide to help them throughout their project.
ChrisisC
I am in high school and i am taking a independent research class that requires me to do a few months of research and then present it at a science fair. I have access to a good amount of materials. Nothing too complex because I'm in high school and there are limitations. Are there any ideas of research that no one has done before? thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For something simple, read the post # 14 of this "link". No doubt it has been done before, but you might find this to be a good topic for some simple experiments. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...re-in-a-closed-container-dependent-on.923977/ ## \\ ## For something a little more difficult that has also been done before, try this experiment including the measurement of the magnetic field strength using a boy scout compass in post # 21. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...perature-relationship-in-ferromagnets.923380/ You might even be able to find a couple of magnetic materials that you can readily heat above their Curie temperature without the use of a special furnace. ## \\ ## One additional idea, if you want to do some experiments with photodiodes (light sensors) and LED's, this posting describes how to do it. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/photodiode-for-light-detection.924013/

Last edited:
Unfortunately, anything easy has already been done.

Have you thought about building a simple cloud chamber? I think this would be a great HS science fair project. See here https://www.sciencefriday.com/educational-resources/build-a-cloud-chamber/

You can also put a magnet near the chamber which will allow you to see what charge the particle has.

I came here just now to ask a question very similar to yours,
but my question might be your answer. I want to do a Science
Fair project to measure the "size" of a photon. I have no idea
whether such a thing is possible. The "size" of photons seems
not to be well-defined. They are often considered as pointlike,
but are also considered as thousands of wavelengths long.
I'm going to ask how such a measurement could be done.
If you are interested in this question and can come up with a
way to try to answer it, I would be thrilled if you took it on.

Do you have a sponsor or a guide who can help you in person?
I think it really helps to have someone who you can talk with
and show what you are working on. I saw an 11th grader's
Science Fair project on aerodynamics that was beautifully done,
but he made a very silly mistake in how air flows around the fins
of a model rocket, so that his careful observations were pretty
much worthless. Somebody should have caught that mistake
very early on and helped him understand how it works. That
means frequently explaining what you are trying to do and why
you are trying to do it, and getting feedback from at least one
person who can follow your explanations.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Jeff Root said:
I have no idea
whether such a thing is possible.
It is not.
Jeff Root said:
They are often considered as pointlike,
but are also considered as thousands of wavelengths long.
You should not consider photons as particles floating in empty space. They are just a convenient analogue when talking about how matter absorbs and emits light quanta.

1. What are some unique research project ideas for a high school science fair?

Some unique research project ideas for a high school science fair include studying the effects of music on plant growth, investigating the impact of different types of light on the growth of bacteria, exploring the relationship between caffeine consumption and reaction time, examining the effectiveness of natural remedies for common ailments, and testing the effects of mindfulness exercises on stress levels.

2. How can I come up with a unique and original science fair project?

To come up with a unique and original science fair project, you can start by identifying a topic or subject that you are interested in and then brainstorming different questions or problems related to that topic. From there, you can research existing studies and experiments on the topic to see if there are any gaps or unanswered questions that you could explore in your project.

3. What are some tips for designing a successful science fair project?

Some tips for designing a successful science fair project include choosing a topic that you are passionate about, conducting thorough research, creating a clear and detailed hypothesis, carefully planning and conducting experiments, accurately recording and analyzing data, and presenting your findings in a professional and organized manner.

4. How can I make my science fair project stand out?

To make your science fair project stand out, you can try incorporating unique or creative elements, such as using unusual materials or methods, incorporating technology or multimedia, or presenting your findings in a visually appealing way. You can also focus on a particularly relevant or timely topic or choose a project that has the potential to make a real-world impact.

5. What are some resources for finding inspiration for a high school science fair project?

Some resources for finding inspiration for a high school science fair project include browsing science fair project websites, talking to science teachers or mentors, participating in science clubs or competitions, attending science fairs or conferences, and reading scientific journals or articles. You can also draw inspiration from everyday observations or problems that you would like to solve.