Register to reply

Beer Bottle Weight

by sphoenixee
Tags: beer, bottle, weight
Share this thread:
sphoenixee
Dec5-06, 05:24 PM
P: 31
Random question: How much does a regular beer bottle (12 fl oz) weigh?

I'm doing a physics project involving the weight of beer bottles, and I don't have a scale, balance, etc.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
turbo
Dec5-06, 05:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Beer bottles are not uniform in weight, so you may have to generalize. The best bet is to buy a couple of cases of Beck's Dark, drink them all, load the bottles onto a bathroom scale and ask someone to divide that weight by 24, because you probably won't be able to do so.
Danger
Dec5-06, 06:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
It weighs 12 fl. oz... plus the glass.

turbo
Dec5-06, 06:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Beer Bottle Weight

Quote Quote by Danger View Post
It weighs 12 fl. oz... plus the glass.
Dammit, Danger! How can I steal your badge when you're stalking me like this?

P.S. You notice that I didn't recommend that he research the problem using Labatt's or Molsen - horse-p*ss only slightly less revolting than US domestic bottled dishwater.
brewnog
Dec5-06, 06:48 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,794
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
The best bet is to buy a couple of cases of Beck's Dark, drink them all...
Hero....!
Danger
Dec5-06, 06:56 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
How can I steal your badge when you're stalking me like this?
Don't look at me like that; I thought that your post was funnier. Anyhow, I'm not in the running this year, so you'll be stealing someone else's.

And I drink Keith's.
brewnog
Dec5-06, 06:58 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,794
And I drink Keith's.

Uhh, you drink Keith's what?
Danger
Dec5-06, 07:09 PM
PF Gold
And another one rears up out of the bog...

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale.
edward
Dec5-06, 07:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 872
Quote Quote by sphoenixee View Post

I'm doing a physics project involving the weight of beer bottles, and I don't have a scale, balance, etc.
If you don't have to be super accurate just take a bottle down to a grocery store produce department and weigh it. You could even ask a pharmacist to weigh it.

If you live on the wrong side of town, go to a stash house and ask a friendly drug dealer to weigh it.
russ_watters
Dec5-06, 09:13 PM
Mentor
P: 22,212
If you'll be drinking them, I recommend Yeungling Lager. If you won't be drinking them (ie, you'll just be pouring them out before weighing them), any of the suggestions above will do fine.
Gokul43201
Dec5-06, 10:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Spoken like a true Pennsylvanian, eh!
Gokul43201
Dec5-06, 10:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by sphoenixee View Post

Here's how you find out. Get two bottles of (budweiser/miller/coors) light beer (to approximate the density of the beer to that of water). Carefully empty one of the bottles into your sink (making sure you don't accidentally spill any drops into your mouth). Suspend the two bottles (one empty, one full) from the ends of a meter stick. find the balance point and from that, the ratio of the two masses. Plug in the mass of 12 oz of water, and you have the mass of the bottle.

PS: A typical 12oz glass bottle weighs between 180g and 200g.
Danger
Dec5-06, 11:00 PM
PF Gold
The only proper approach, of course, would be to weigh yourself holding the full bottle, then drink the beer and weigh yourself holding the empty bottle.
Hang on a sec... there's something wrong with that.
Moonbear
Dec5-06, 11:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
The only proper approach, of course, would be to weigh yourself holding the full bottle, then drink the beer and weigh yourself holding the empty bottle.
Hang on a sec... there's something wrong with that.
Yep, forgot to tell him to pee first.

Or...he could find a mentor who is over 21, has a 12 oz bottle of beer in the fridge, and a kitchen scale willing to weigh it.

I'm tempted to hold out for the chocolate bribe, but since my kitchen scale is only accurate to within 25 g, I guess I should just suggest a donation after the fact.

It was between 325 and 350 g. (That would be Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Co.; I highly recommend it. )
Danger
Dec5-06, 11:34 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Yep, forgot to tell him to pee first.
That would be counter-productive; it would give a negative value. Beer is the only substance on the planet that is known to violate the laws of thermodynamics... 5 go in, 6 come out.
russ_watters
Dec6-06, 09:53 AM
Mentor
P: 22,212
That would be counter-productive; it would give a negative value. Beer is the only substance on the planet that is known to violate the laws of thermodynamics... 5 go in, 6 come out.
... and 4 stay permanently attached to your gut!
josh_einsle
Dec6-06, 10:23 AM
P: 44
my approach to get a truly representaive average mass of a beer bottle would be to conduct a sampling of the population of all possialbe beer bottles my sample would try to include something like :

2 us domestic beers
2 us micro brews
2 european brews
2 asian brews

mass all bottles full... drink... then mass all bottles empty and devide by eight..... this should give a good estimate of the mean beer bottle mass...... fun experiment though
BobG
Dec6-06, 12:27 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
Quote Quote by josh_einsle View Post
my approach to get a truly representaive average mass of a beer bottle would be to conduct a sampling of the population of all possialbe beer bottles my sample would try to include something like :

2 us domestic beers
2 us micro brews
2 european brews
2 asian brews

mass all bottles full... drink... then mass all bottles empty and devide by eight..... this should give a good estimate of the mean beer bottle mass...... fun experiment though
You forgot to mention you have to do this once in the US or Europe and once in Australia. That way you can determine whether the room spins in the same direction in both hemispheres, as well as gather more samples.

Register to reply