What is the basic science behind fire?

In summary, the speaker is not confident in their English typing skills and needs help explaining atoms and molecules to a 6th grade class who is unfamiliar with the concepts. They are considering starting by defining atoms and then explaining how they can combine to form molecules. They also plan to use examples of combustion and rust to illustrate how atoms react with oxygen to create new molecules and release heat. The speaker expresses gratitude for the suggestion.
Jakob Olason
So I'm not the best at typing English, so please bare with me.
So I have a school project to a 6. Grade class, who was never heard of atoms or how anything reacts (maybe they have, but not much) so I don't know what to type, so that it's understandable and gets the information into them. I have ideas and to first say what an atom is, but I need to help them understand how a flame or fire works.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to explain what atoms and molecules are. Explain that atoms can join together to form molecules. Then you can explain that when a piece of wood burns the carbon atoms in the wood react with oxygen atoms in the air to form molecules of Carbon Dioxide and heat is given off. Same with rust - Iron atoms react with oxygen to form Iron Oxide and heat.

Likes Nidum
Thank you! I don't know why I didn't think of that...

1. What is a basic fire school project?

A basic fire school project is a hands-on learning experience where students are taught the fundamentals of fire behavior, fire safety, and fire suppression techniques. It is usually a part of the curriculum for fire science or emergency management courses.

2. What are the objectives of a basic fire school project?

The objectives of a basic fire school project are to educate students about fire safety, the science of fire, and the different methods of fire suppression. It also aims to develop practical skills and techniques for handling different types of fires.

3. Who can participate in a basic fire school project?

Basic fire school projects are typically open to students pursuing degrees or certification in fire science, emergency management, or related fields. Some programs may also allow interested individuals to participate as guest students.

4. What topics are covered in a basic fire school project?

Topics covered in a basic fire school project may include fire behavior and chemistry, types of fires, fire safety protocols and equipment, fire suppression techniques, and emergency response procedures. The specific topics may vary depending on the curriculum of the program.

5. What are the benefits of completing a basic fire school project?

Completing a basic fire school project can provide students with valuable knowledge and skills that can be applied in a variety of emergency situations. It can also serve as a foundation for further education and training in the field of fire science or emergency management.