Beer related physics, for a undergraduate project

In summary, the conversation is about a research project involving beer-related physics tricks. The person is asking for help with an experiment involving hitting two beer bottles together and the resulting overflow of the bottom bottle. They mention the release of CO2 and the increase in pressure, but are looking for a specific equation to explain the phenomenon. They also wonder why the top bottle does not release pressure despite the same vibrations between gas molecules. They also add a link to a prank video for reference.
millatime19
hey all, I am not using the template, bc this isn't a standard problem.

I am doing a few beer related physics tricks for my phy 252 research project at Arizona State, and I need help with one in general.

Why does, when you hit two beer bottles together (one on top of the other) the bottom one overflows? Now I know that the CO2 is released when the beer hits the bottom of the bottle, causing a jump in pressure, but i really want to know why. I need an equation here, not PV=nRT or W=p(V2-V1) or any of the regular thermodynamics equations. I need something specific, and I've been racking my brain trying to figure it out but i cant. Secondly another thing that i need more help explaning is why doesn't the top bottle release pressure, shouldn't there be enough vibrations between the gas molecules to have the same effect?

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the density of beer and how does it affect its taste?

The density of beer is typically around 1.01-1.03 g/cm³, which is slightly higher than water. This higher density is due to the presence of sugars, proteins and other dissolved solids in beer. These components can affect the mouthfeel and taste of the beer, making it feel thicker or more viscous in the mouth. Higher density beers may also have a more intense and complex flavor profile.

2. How does the carbonation in beer impact its physical properties?

The carbonation in beer is created by the presence of carbon dioxide gas, which is a byproduct of the fermentation process. This gas is dissolved in the beer and creates the characteristic bubbles and foam. The carbonation level can affect the perceived bitterness, as well as the overall mouthfeel and texture of the beer.

3. What is the ideal serving temperature for different types of beer and why?

The ideal serving temperature for beer varies depending on the style of beer. Generally, lighter beers such as lagers and pilsners are best served colder, around 40-45°F, to enhance their crispness and refreshment. Darker beers like stouts and porters are best enjoyed at slightly warmer temperatures, around 50-55°F, to bring out their complex flavors and aromas.

4. How does the shape of a beer glass impact the drinking experience?

The shape of a beer glass can greatly impact the drinking experience. Different glass shapes can affect the release of carbonation, the aroma and the temperature of the beer. For example, a tulip glass is ideal for strong and aromatic beers as it traps the aroma inside, while a pilsner glass is tall and narrow to maintain the carbonation and showcase the color of the beer.

5. Can the temperature of the beer affect its carbonation level?

Yes, the temperature of the beer can affect its carbonation level. Cold temperatures decrease the solubility of carbon dioxide, causing it to be released from the beer as bubbles. This is why beer poured from a cold tap or stored in a cold fridge typically has more carbonation than a warm beer. However, if a beer is too warm, it can also lose carbonation as the gas expands and escapes from the liquid. Therefore, the ideal serving temperature for beer balances the carbonation level with the desired flavor and aroma profile.