Register to reply

Why does the human body need iron?

by Chaos' lil bro Order
Tags: body, human, iron
Share this thread:
Chaos' lil bro Order
Mar9-07, 12:56 AM
P: 683
As far as I know Iron is used in many enzymes as the metal complex. Beyond this are there any biological uses for iron? All uses appreciated, ty.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
'Killer sperm' prevents mating between worm species
Poachers threaten new slaughter of South African elephants
Major turtle nesting beaches protected in 1 of the UK's far flung overseas territories
xiankai
Mar9-07, 04:21 AM
P: 31
here the most prominent example i know of is its presence in haemoglobin, a protein that makes use of iron to bind oxygen and transport it around the body
ShawnD
Mar10-07, 02:57 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 987
Quote Quote by Chaos' lil bro Order View Post
As far as I know Iron is used in many enzymes as the metal complex. Beyond this are there any biological uses for iron?
Nope. Complexes are pretty much all iron does. The above poster's example of hemoglobin is an example of an iron complex.

Chaos' lil bro Order
Mar10-07, 03:02 PM
Why does the human body need iron?

Quote Quote by ShawnD View Post
Nope. Complexes are pretty much all iron does. The above poster's example of hemoglobin is an example of an iron complex.
Yes, but hemoglobin is a protein, not an enzyme, so his post is a valid example of another use of iron.

Incidentally, have you ever noticed that if you smell your finger after picking at a scab with a little blood on it, that is smells strongly like iron?
quetzalcoatl9
Mar10-07, 09:22 PM
P: 701
Yes, but hemoglobin is a protein, not an enzyme, so his post is a valid example of another use of iron.
But the iron is still acting through forming a complex - in this case, it is actually a heme porphyrin. The fact that the iron isn't performing a reaction is a mere technicallity - there are many iron-porphyrins that DO catalyze reactions.
Moonbear
Mar10-07, 11:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Chaos' lil bro Order View Post
Enzymes are proteins too. But hemoglobin is not an enzyme. Regardless, I think you've gotten the answer you were seeking, correct?
Chaos' lil bro Order
Mar13-07, 05:47 PM
Do I have to draw a Venh Diagram, I'd rather not.

Register to reply