Understanding the Mystery of Iron: From Physical Size to Water and Human Body

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary: I think it was a science project?In summary, elemental iron is used to meet the RDA criterion for dietary iron, iron microparticles are pressed into the wheat flakes and are oxidized/dissolved in the acidic environment of the stomach, at which point the iron becomes bioavailable.
mech-eng
The situation has always confused me since primary school. There are elements/metals which are in the form of physical sizes which we can see and touch such as gold, iron, argent etc. How can these metals pass into water or human body? This is very confusing for me. I have heard that there are lots of gold in the ocean and sea waters. And there is strange case with iron with bind all the three cases, physical size, passing into water and organism body. Physical iron is used to treat iron deficiency when used in water. This seems very strange to me. Would you explain these cases?

Self-made
(link deleted)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your post is half nonsensical, but I bet what you mean is "how do elements that are in the form of solids become soluble?" - if so, they are typically oxidized (or reduced) to ionic forms, these are more or less easy to dissolve.

Borek said:
Your post is half nonsensical, but I bet what you mean is "how do elements that are in the form of solids become soluble?" - if so, they are typically oxidized (or reduced) to ionic forms, these are more or less easy to dissolve.

Yes, I don't know correct words. But when putting an iron into water how does it instantly become that form? Are that iron and what we take into our body the same? That metal fish solves the iron deficiancy problem.

Thank you.

Same element in different forms. No, iron fish doesn't help, although the idea - that it will slowly dissolve in water - is correct. It is not an instant process, it is quite slow and requires a chemical reaction between iron (in metallic form), water and air oxygen.

Borek said:
Same element in different forms. No, iron fish doesn't help, although the idea - that it will slowly dissolve in water - is correct. It is not an instant process, it is quite slow and requires a chemical reaction between iron (in metallic form), water and air oxygen.

Is it all about chemistry? Does introductory chemistry books explain this? What do you mean by "No, iron fish doesn't help?" To help what? To iron deficiancy?

Thank you.

Yes, it is all about chemistry, yes, any introductory textbook should give you enough info, yes, iron fish doesn't help with iron deficiency.

Yes, I saw the wiki article, but after skimming it I was under impression the only reputable source cited (The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition) doesn't confirm it works - which I took to mean "at best the jury is still out".

Total cereal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_(breakfast_cereal)) uses elemental iron to meet the RDA criterion for dietary iron. Iron microparticles are pressed into the wheat flakes and are oxidized/dissolved in the acidic environment of the stomach, at which point the iron becomes bioavailable. I remember an old experiment in high school, soaking Total in water and using a magnet to collect the iron particles.

1. What is iron and why is it important?

Iron is a chemical element with the symbol Fe and atomic number 26. It is a crucial element for many biological processes and essential for human health. Our bodies use iron to make hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. It is also important for the proper functioning of enzymes and is involved in many metabolic reactions.

2. How does iron play a role in water?

Iron can exist in different forms in water, such as dissolved iron ions or as solid particles. In drinking water, iron is usually present in low concentrations and does not pose health concerns. However, high levels of iron in water can cause discoloration, taste, and odor problems. Iron can also react with other substances in water to form deposits that can clog pipes and affect the taste and odor of water.

3. What is the recommended daily intake of iron for humans?

The recommended daily intake of iron varies depending on age and gender. For adult men, the recommended daily intake is 8 mg, while for adult women, it is 18 mg. Pregnant and lactating women may require higher levels of iron. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations.

4. How does iron deficiency affect the human body?

Iron deficiency is a common nutritional problem, especially among women and young children. It can lead to anemia, a condition in which the body does not have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen to tissues. Symptoms of iron deficiency anemia may include fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, and pale skin. Severe iron deficiency can also affect cognitive function and increase the risk of infections.

5. Can iron be harmful to the human body?

While iron is essential for human health, high levels of iron in the body can be harmful. Iron overload, also known as hemochromatosis, is a condition in which the body absorbs too much iron from food and supplements. This excess iron can build up in tissues and organs, leading to damage and eventually, organ failure. It is important to monitor iron intake and consult with a healthcare professional if you have concerns about iron levels in your body.