Where does the secretion of enzyme helicase take place?

• Medical
  • Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
In summary, the enzyme helicase plays a crucial role in DNA replication by breaking down hydrogen bonds between the two strands of DNA. It is found in the nucleus of cells and is highly conserved in all living organisms. The secretion of helicase occurs in the nucleus and is unique in that it is directly involved in the replication of DNA within the cell.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I was watching the following video which described how DNA replication takes place. It discusses helicase, polymerase, primase, etc. Where do these enzyme come from? I mean what body part secretes them. I think that every cell utilizes these enzymes. I don't think that these enzymes keep floating around in each cell all the time. They must be released at a set time by something. I don't know much about biology but just curious. Thanks for the help!

Biology news on Phys.org
They are made in the cytosol of every cell and transported into the nucleus.

Likes BillTre and PainterGuy

1. Where is the enzyme helicase secreted?

The enzyme helicase is not secreted, as it is an intracellular enzyme. This means that it is produced and used within the cells of an organism.

2. In which part of the cell does helicase function?

Helicase functions in the nucleus of a cell, specifically in the process of DNA replication. It unwinds the double helix structure of DNA, allowing for the replication process to occur.

3. Can helicase be found in other parts of the body besides the nucleus?

No, helicase is only found in the nucleus of cells. It is a specialized enzyme that is specifically involved in DNA replication, which takes place in the nucleus.

4. How does helicase know where to unwind the DNA?

Helicase has a specific sequence of amino acids that allows it to recognize and bind to a specific sequence of DNA. This sequence is known as the origin of replication, and it is where the DNA replication process begins.

5. Is helicase always present in cells?

Yes, helicase is a vital enzyme that is always present in cells. It is necessary for DNA replication, which is essential for cell division and growth. Without helicase, cells would not be able to replicate their DNA, and therefore would not be able to divide and carry out their functions.