Coulomb's Law - Electrostatics

In summary, the question asks for the resultant force on a charge of +1 uC placed at the centre of a square of four point charges, each with different charges. Using Coulomb's Law, the individual forces on each charge can be calculated and then added together as a vector to find the total resultant force on the charge at the centre.
sally2442
Hey.

I only just started this unit at school (after coming back from holidays and forgetting everything!) and I'm having trouble with the following problem:

Homework Statement

"Four point charges A, B, C and D are arranged on the corners of a square of side 25cm. If A and B each have a charge of +1 uC while C and D each have a charge of +2 uC, what is the resultant force on a charge of +1 uC placed at the centre of the square?"

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law
f = k((Q1*Q2)/d2)

where f = force, k = 9x10^9, Q1 and Q2 are the charges in coulombs and d is the separation of the charges (m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted the question, not really knowing where to begin, and got some really weird (and definitely incorrect) answers. It's probably simple and I'm just really slow :blushing:.

I'd really love if someone could just outline where I start and what processes to use to get the answer so I can apply it to other problems.

Thanks so so much!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate individual force on the charge (F_a, F_b...), then add the total force as a vector.

Hi there,

Don't worry, Coulomb's Law can be tricky to understand at first. Let's break down the problem step by step.

First, we need to find the distances between the charges. Since they are arranged on the corners of a square, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance between the center and each corner. This will give us a distance of 17.68 cm for each of the four charges.

Next, we can use Coulomb's Law to calculate the force between each pair of charges. Remember, the force is attractive if the charges have opposite signs and repulsive if they have the same sign. So, for the pair A and B, the force will be repulsive and for the pair C and D, the force will be attractive.

Now, we can use vector addition to find the resultant force on the charge at the center. Since the forces are acting in different directions, we need to use the Pythagorean theorem again to find the magnitude of the resultant force. Once we have the magnitude, we can use trigonometry to find the direction of the force.

I hope this helps! Remember to always break down the problem into smaller steps and use the appropriate equations. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to electrostatics?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental principle in the study of electrostatics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of electric charges at rest. It describes the force between two charged particles at rest and helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and potential in electrostatic systems.

3. What are the units of measurement for the quantities in Coulomb's Law?

The units of measurement for the charges in Coulomb's Law are coulombs (C), and the unit for distance is meters (m). Therefore, the units for the force in Coulomb's Law are newtons (N). In some cases, the force may also be measured in dynes (dyn) or volts per meter (V/m).

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between any number of charged particles. The net force on a charged particle in an electric field is the vector sum of the individual forces acting on it from all other charged particles in the field.

5. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the force between them according to Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. Conversely, if the distance between the particles decreases, the force between them increases.