Coulomb's law vs Electric Field

In summary: I do not believe you can, because this is not the basis of quantum mechanics.The relation E = M would only be true in certain very special cases, such as the one in which M is the mass of a particle at rest and E is its energy.
Ashley1nOnly

Homework Statement

I just wanted to make sure I understood the difference between the two.
Coulombs law is the force between two charges. Two charges that are physical(maybe not the right word) located on some axes. We can use the equation
F=k(q1 * q2 * r(hat))/r^2

r^2=|r| = |x-x'|
where r hat equal= r/|r|= (x-x')/|x-x')|

if we only have one charge and we want to know what the force would be at some random point q. We know that F=qE(x). So, F/q=E(x). which would give us
E(x)=k(q1* r(hat))/r^2

They both calculate the force, coulombs is the force between two charges and the electric field is the force a some point q. (q would be a field point.)
As the distance grows on both the force gets weaker and weaker.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that you can sum the forces with Coulombs Law but can you sum up the electric fields?

Ashley1nOnly said:
[C]oulombs is the force between two charges and the electric field is the force at some point q
A coulomb is a unit of measure (quantity of electricity).
Force is a physical quantity.
An electric field models the network of electrostatic forces charged bodies would exert on each other.

whats the difference between an electric field an electric force? They seem synonymous

Megaverse said:
whats the difference between an electric field an electric force? They seem synonymous
The electric field is what is in the surrounding environment that produces a force on a charge. One way to express the units associated with an electric field is N/C (Newtons per Coulomb). The electric field and force have different units.

Compare with the gravitational field: The acceleration due to gravity (meters per second2) can also be expressed in units of N/kg (Newtons per kilogram).

Ashley1nOnly said:
if we only have one charge and we want to know what the force would be at some random point q. We know that F=qE(x). So, F/q=E(x). which would give us
E(x)=k(q1* r(hat))/r^2
If there is only one charge, call it q1, there is no force at any random point q. A force acts on a material object. There is no force "at" an empty point in space. It is only when you place another charge q at some point in space, that the charge q has a force acting on it, because of your original charge q1.
If there is only one charge, it generates an electric field, not force, at every point in space, given by your formula:
E(x)=k(q1* r(hat))/r^2
This is different from a force. If now you place a charge q2 at the point x, then there is a force on q2 given by
F = q2 E(x)

Ashley1nOnly said:

Homework Statement

I just wanted to make sure I understood the difference between the two.
Coulombs law is the force between two charges. Two charges that are physical(maybe not the right word) located on some axes. We can use the equation
F=k(q1 * q2 * r(hat))/r^2

r^2=|r| = |x-x'|
where r hat equal= r/|r|= (x-x')/|x-x')|

E(x)=k(q1* r(hat))/r^2

They both calculate the force, coulombs is the force between two charges and the electric field is the force a some point q. (q would be a field point.)
As the distance grows on both the force gets weaker and weaker.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The electric (and magnetic) fields have existence that is (essentially) separated from the charges that created them. For example, take
the force expression
$$\mathbf{F} = \frac{k q_1 q_2 \: \hat{r}}{r^2}.$$
If the particles are quite far apart, then when you suddenly wiggle ##q_2##, the expression above for ##\mathbf{F}## changes (because ##\hat{r}## and ##r## change), but for a while the actual force on particle #1 does not change. Rather, the influence of particle #2 is propagated at the speed of light, so there would be a bit of a delay before the wiggling effects are felt by particle #1. The effects arise through the influence of the electromagnetic field. The field is very real, the electrostatic force is very real, and certainly the two are closely linked; but they are not really the same.

Got it. Thanks. Another question super basic, but entertain me.

If E=M. Which is agreed upon. How is it possible that E=Mc^2?

Megaverse said:

Nobody agrees that E=M. Why do you think such a thing could be true?

Megaverse said:

What is E and what is M?

Ray Vickson said:
Nobody agrees that E=M. Why do you think such a thing could be true?

Thats the basis of quantum mechanics.

I would really appreciate being told what is E and what is M. There is no reference to M in any of the earlier posts, and E is the electric field in all the earlier posts in this thread. So I do not understand the relation E = M at all.

Megaverse said:
Thats the basis of quantum mechanics.

No, it is not. If you claim it is, please cite references---for example, a book or an article.

Related to Coulomb's law vs Electric Field

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the difference between Coulomb's law and electric field?

Coulomb's law describes the force between two charged particles, while electric field describes the force that a charged particle experiences in an electric field. Electric field is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force on a charged particle at any given point in space.

How are Coulomb's law and electric field related?

Coulomb's law and electric field are related through the equation F = qE, where F is the force on a charged particle, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field strength. Electric field is the force per unit charge, so it can be calculated by dividing the force by the charge.

Can Coulomb's law and electric field be used interchangeably?

No, Coulomb's law and electric field cannot be used interchangeably. Coulomb's law is used to calculate the force between two charged particles, while electric field is used to calculate the force on a charged particle in an electric field. They are different concepts and equations.

How do Coulomb's law and electric field apply to real-life situations?

Coulomb's law and electric field have many real-life applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, the behavior of atoms and molecules, and the functioning of electronic devices. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of lightning and the interaction between celestial bodies in space.