Possible variables for Coulombs Law?

In summary, Coulomb's Law states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. To solve for q1 and q2, you would need more than one equation as the given equation only relates to F, k, q1, and r.
Amber Mayson
Member warned about posting substandard question in wrong forum section
COULOMBS LAW
F= K Q1 Q2 / R2

How would I solve for Q1 and Q2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, :welcome:

This really quantum physics ?

You have one equation for two unknowns ? Not enough !

BvU said:
Hi, :welcome:

This really quantum physics ?

You have one equation for two unknowns ? Not enough !

I am not asking for a specific equation to be solved. I am asking if asked to solve for q1 and q2 how would I manipulate this equation?

You can not solve for two unknowns if you only have one equation.

BvU said:
You can not solve for two unknowns if you only have one equation.

How would I solve for q1 and q2 separately?

If you know ##F, k, q_1 ## and ##r## you solve for ##q_2## with ## q_2 = \displaystyle {F r^2 \over k q_1 }##

Likes Amber Mayson

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between charged particles. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What are the possible variables in Coulomb's Law?

The possible variables in Coulomb's Law are the charges of the two objects (q1 and q2), the distance between them (r), and the permittivity of the medium (ε0).

3. How does the distance between two charged objects affect the force between them?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force between the objects decreases.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate forces between more than two charged objects?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the net force on a charged object due to multiple other charged objects. In this case, the force on the object is the vector sum of the individual forces from each charged object.

5. How is Coulomb's Law related to Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Gravitation are both inverse square laws, meaning that the force between two objects decreases with the square of the distance between them. However, Coulomb's Law describes the electrostatic force between charged objects, while Newton's Law of Gravitation describes the gravitational force between objects with mass.