Will an Intel Core i7 920 be faster than this CPU?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core cpu
In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between an entrance level Intel Core I7 920 and a Core 2 Quad Q9400. The two processors have similar main specs but are different when it comes to platforms. While they may have similar performance for general applications, the Core I7 has improvements such as Turbo Boost, Hyper-Threading, QPI, L3 cache, and memory architecture that can provide a 20% boost for memory intensive applications. The Core I7 is based on a newer microarchitecture called 'Nehalem' while the Core 2 is based on the previous generation. It is suggested to wait for the Core I7 to mature before making a decision.
The_Absolute
Will an entrance level Intel Core I7 920 be faster than a Core 2 Quad Q9400?

Just asking...

Computer science news on Phys.org
The_Absolute said:

Still they have quite similar main specs the processors are quite different to compare.
At least you will run the processors on different platforms, say, X58 and X48 respectively.
On one hand for general applications you will have almost the same performance. I think the difference will be within some unnoticeable 10%.
On the other hand due to the improvements to the Core I7 arch (namely, Turbo Boost, Hyper-Threading, QPI, L3 cache and overall memory arch) for some memory intensive applications you may hope to see another 20%.

The_Absolute said:

Just asking...

Are you building? :biggrin:

The Core i7 is based on a very new microarchitecture, named 'Nehalem'. Core 2 is based on the previous generation, the Core microarchitecture. From general principle, I'd go with the newer (i7) - you would expect moderate improvements.

Not that CPU performance should matter much, it's not a bottleneck in most applications.

I'd wait a bit until the Core i7 will mature, say a year.

1. Will an Intel Core i7 920 be faster than this CPU?

It depends on the specific CPU being compared to the Intel Core i7 920. The Intel Core i7 920 is a quad-core processor with a base clock speed of 2.66GHz. It also has hyper-threading, which allows it to handle up to 8 threads simultaneously. If the CPU being compared has similar specifications, it may have comparable performance. However, newer CPUs with higher clock speeds and more advanced technologies may outperform the Intel Core i7 920.

2. What is the difference between the Intel Core i7 920 and other Intel Core i7 processors?

The Intel Core i7 920 is part of the first generation of Intel Core i7 processors, also known as the Nehalem microarchitecture. It was released in 2008 and has a base clock speed of 2.66GHz. Other Intel Core i7 processors, such as the 8th generation Coffee Lake processors, have higher clock speeds, more cores, and more advanced technologies, making them generally faster than the Intel Core i7 920.

3. Can I upgrade my current CPU to an Intel Core i7 920?

It depends on your current computer's motherboard and compatibility with the Intel Core i7 920. The Intel Core i7 920 uses the LGA 1366 socket, so your motherboard must also have this socket in order for the upgrade to be possible. Additionally, the Intel Core i7 920 has specific power and cooling requirements, so you may need to upgrade your power supply and cooling system as well.

4. Is the Intel Core i7 920 good for gaming?

The Intel Core i7 920 can handle most modern games, but it may not be the best option for high-end gaming. Its base clock speed of 2.66GHz may not provide enough processing power for demanding games, and its lack of newer technologies such as turbo boost may limit its performance. If you are primarily using your computer for gaming, it may be worth investing in a newer and more powerful CPU.

5. What are the benefits of the Intel Core i7 920 over other CPUs?

The Intel Core i7 920 was a high-end processor when it was released and has several features that make it stand out. These include its quad-core design, hyper-threading technology, and 8MB of L3 cache. It also has a relatively low price compared to newer and more advanced processors, making it a good option for budget-conscious users who still want decent performance.