Ipad Air 5th Gen M1 Hardware properties compared to Intel i5-7200U CPU

In summary, the conversation discusses purchasing an iPad Air 5th Gen Tablet and the specifications of the M1 chip. The discussion also touches on coding in Python and using the iPad as a laptop. However, the conversation concludes that the iPad is most useful for note-taking and reading PDFs, and the M1 chip may not be necessary for those tasks.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hey all,

I want to buy Ipad Air 5th Gen Tablet. Currently My computer has this specs:

Code:
CPU(s):                  4
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
  Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               142
    Thread(s) per core:  2
    Core(s) per socket:  2
    Socket(s):           1
    Stepping:            9
    CPU max MHz:         3100.0000
    CPU min MHz:         400.0000
    BogoMIPS:            5399.81
Caches (sum of all):    
  L1d:                   64 KiB (2 instances)
  L1i:                   64 KiB (2 instances)
  L2:                    512 KiB (2 instances)
  L3:                    3 MiB (1 instance)
NUMA:                  
  NUMA node(s):          1
  NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3

from this site https://www.apple.com/ipad-air/specs/ there's some specs given for M1 chip but I don't see much about detail. Can someone point on these informations for ipad air 5.th gen's M1 chip ? I have found out this site but I am not sure every M1 chip is the same or not ?
https://cpufun.substack.com/p/more-m1-fun-hardware-information?s=r

It seems like with M1 I am buying an really powerful tablet (kind of a computer actually) which is much much powerful than my computer. Also is it easy to code in Ipad (such as python). I also kind of want to use it as laptop.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
It is pointless comparing numbers of cores and clock rates between a RISC processor like an M1 with a modern CISC processor like an i5; the latter's performance comes from pipelining and cacheing optimizations that do not show up in these figures.

There are a few options for coding in Python on an iPad but each has compromises and I wouldn't call any of them "easy". For most other languages your only option is to connect to a (remote or local) server and use your iPad as a really expensive dumb terminal.

For "use as a laptop" it depends what you use your laptop for. Apart from coding I use mine mainly for spreadsheets and games: both are useless on an iPad.

pbuk said:
It is pointless comparing numbers of cores and clock rates between a RISC processor like an M1 with a modern CISC processor like an i5; the latter's performance comes from pipelining and cacheing optimizations that do not show up in these figures.
Oh I see I was not aware of that processor types...
pbuk said:
There are a few options for coding in Python on an iPad but each has compromises and I wouldn't call any of them "easy". For most other languages your only option is to connect to a (remote or local) server and use your iPad as a really expensive dumb terminal.
I have heard google colab..but ofc coding is not necessary...
pbuk said:
For "use as a laptop" it depends what you use your laptop for. Apart from coding I use mine mainly for spreadsheets and games: both are useless on an iPad.
I wlll mainy use for note-taking, reading pdfs etc...I guess I don't need M1 for that..

Arman777 said:
I wlll mainy use for note-taking, reading pdfs etc...I guess I don't need M1 for that..
An iPad is great for that - it's what I use my ancient iPad Air 2 for.

1. What is the difference between the M1 hardware properties and the Intel i5-7200U CPU?

The M1 hardware in the iPad Air 5th Gen is Apple's proprietary chip that was specifically designed for their devices. On the other hand, the Intel i5-7200U CPU is a processor commonly used in laptops and computers. The M1 has a faster clock speed and more cores compared to the i5-7200U, making it more powerful and efficient.

2. Which one is better for multitasking - the M1 or the Intel i5-7200U CPU?

The M1 hardware in the iPad Air 5th Gen is better for multitasking due to its higher number of cores and faster clock speed. It can handle multiple tasks simultaneously without slowing down, while the i5-7200U may struggle with heavy multitasking.

3. Can the M1 hardware in the iPad Air 5th Gen be upgraded like the Intel i5-7200U CPU?

No, the M1 chip in the iPad Air 5th Gen cannot be upgraded as it is a proprietary chip designed specifically for Apple devices. On the other hand, the Intel i5-7200U CPU can be upgraded on certain laptops and computers.

4. Is there a difference in power consumption between the M1 and the Intel i5-7200U CPU?

Yes, the M1 hardware is more power-efficient compared to the Intel i5-7200U CPU. This is because the M1 was designed specifically for Apple devices, allowing it to optimize power consumption and extend battery life.

5. Can I run the same software on the M1 hardware and the Intel i5-7200U CPU?

Yes, both the M1 hardware and the Intel i5-7200U CPU can run the same software. However, the M1 may be more efficient in running certain software designed for Apple devices, while the Intel i5-7200U may be better for running software designed for Windows or other operating systems.