Comparing a desktop cpu to a tablet cpu

In summary, the Intel core 2 duo E6300 is faster than the Samsung galaxy note 10.1 quad core Exynos when running a chess program like stockfish. However, the RAM has little to no effect on the number of playouts.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm wondering how to compare my desktop cpu to my tablet cpu. They are an intel core 2 duo E6300 (1.86 Ghz, you can see it at http://ark.intel.com/products/27248/) and the Samsung galaxy note 10.1, basically a quad core Exynos at 1.4 Ghz.
I would have expected that when running a chess program like stockfish (a top chess engine free to download, open source) I would get more playouts with the Samsung than with my desktop PC. However I get roughly half of the playouts number with the Samsung than with my desktop PC (456 k vs 950 k).
Considering that the RAM has little to no effect on the number of playouts, I'm wondering why basically my desktop PC can run programs faster than on my tablet.
How do they compare in general? Is the dual core PC always faster than my quad core tablet?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You just compared both in a real life application, and as far as I know that's the only way of doing it. Plenty of benchmarks that try to be universal, but usually there is no single and simple answer to the question "which of these two computers is faster" (unless it is obvious - say, Z80 vs Pentium :wink:).

I see Borek. That's surprising to me :)
Thanks.

I would have expected that when running a chess program like stockfish (a top chess engine free to download, open source) I would get more playouts with the Samsung than with my desktop PC.

It would be interesting for you to explain why you would think so.

At 1.86 GHz vs 1.4 GHz the Intel chip is already the front runner in terms of instructions that can be performed per unit time.
A single core processor is just as fast as a multi core if the software is not written and taking advantage of the extras cores, and even so written, extra communication overhead between say two cores limits the processing to less than twice as a single.

Your Intel chip is designed to be a number cruncher.
The Exynos is designed to be peripheral friendly and thus limit the amount of support chips, since a lot of the kernal I suspect utilizes that aspect of having that is built into the processor chip itself. That is where the 4 cores are useful.

Very few applications such as the chess program you mentioned take advantage of extra cores of a processor. Programming for them is not the easiest.

In essence, the reply by Borek is the one to follow - test the application in real life.

Thanks for the reply!
256bits said:
It would be interesting for you to explain why you would think so.

At 1.86 GHz vs 1.4 GHz the Intel chip is already the front runner in terms of instructions that can be performed per unit time.
A single core processor is just as fast as a multi core if the software is not written and taking advantage of the extras cores, and even so written, extra communication overhead between say two cores limits the processing to less than twice as a single.

Here is my explanation: As you say, a dual core should be less than twice faster than a single core; at least for that chess program. If remember well I had read that it should be 1.6 times faster on a quad core than on a dual core (I don't remember exactly if it was for rybka or stockfish though).
Considering the clock latency of my quad core is more than 1/1.6 for my dual core, I would have expected it to get slightly more playouts per second, or at least close to what I get with the dual core. Certainly not half of them!
I just made the math, I should have expected close to 20% more playouts on my quad core than on my dual core.

You are comparing two chips with completely dfferent instruction sets (ARM and Intel). Just looking at the number of cores and the clock speed is much too simplistic.

There is also the issue of how mature the software development tools (e.g. compilers) are - if open source developers have strong views about using open source compilers, it's possible that they haven't yet got a compiler optimized for a relatively new chipset like the ARM, compared with the level of understanding of the Intel - or that they are more interested in spending time developing chess algorithms rather than understanding a new hardware system.

I don't know anything about stockfish so this might be irrellivant. Most android apps are written in java, which means the slowdown of running in a VM.

What is the difference between a desktop CPU and a tablet CPU?

A desktop CPU is a central processing unit that is designed for use in a desktop computer, while a tablet CPU is designed for use in a tablet device. The main difference between the two is their size and power consumption. Desktop CPUs are larger and more powerful, while tablet CPUs are smaller and more energy efficient.

Which one is faster, a desktop CPU or a tablet CPU?

Generally, a desktop CPU is faster than a tablet CPU. This is because desktop CPUs have larger and more complex designs, allowing them to handle more tasks at once and process information more quickly. However, some high-end tablets may have CPUs that are comparable in speed to lower-end desktop CPUs.

Can a tablet CPU be upgraded like a desktop CPU?

No, tablet CPUs cannot be upgraded like desktop CPUs. This is because tablet CPUs are soldered onto the device's motherboard, making them difficult to replace. Desktop CPUs, on the other hand, are designed to be easily removed and replaced with a faster or more powerful CPU.

What are the advantages of using a desktop CPU over a tablet CPU?

The main advantage of using a desktop CPU over a tablet CPU is its power. Desktop CPUs are generally more powerful and can handle more intensive tasks, making them ideal for gaming, video editing, and other demanding applications. Additionally, desktop CPUs can be easily upgraded and customized, allowing for better performance and longevity.

Are there any advantages to using a tablet CPU over a desktop CPU?

Yes, there are some advantages to using a tablet CPU over a desktop CPU. The main advantage is portability. Tablet CPUs are designed to be small and energy efficient, making them ideal for on-the-go use. They also tend to have longer battery life compared to desktop CPUs. Additionally, some tablets have touch screens and other features that may be more convenient for certain tasks.