Troubleshooting Game Issues on Virtual Machine

In summary: I tried uninstalling SVGA 3D graphics and at the beginning it worked, poorly but it did and I was able to login but game crashed.You might want to try reinstalling the game.The game might be installed in a way that prevents it from being uninstalled.I tried installing all-kinds of drivers and other programs but nothing seems to work.It sounds like you're trying different things, but you're not sure what might work.Perhaps you can post a list of the drivers and programs that you've tried?In summary, the game won't work on a virtual machine. It did work before, but I don't remember what did I do to get it working. I'm
Astalavista
TL;DR Summary
Game on VMware workstation player 16.2 won't work.
Game on VM won't work. It did work before i re-created machine, but I don't remember what did i do to get game working. I'm using windows 10 64 bit on machine and host is the same. When i launch the game it's just black screen and music, when I tried to play in window mode it showed the window with it's contents, but i couldn't click on anything. I tried uninstalling the SVGA 3D graphics and at the beginning it worked, poorly but it did and I was able to login but game crashed. I tried installing all-kinds of drivers and other programs but nothing seems to work.

game - Broken Ranks

I gave it 5 gb ram and 4 core's of cpu which is more than recommended.

I have gtx 1050ti and intel core i5 7400

Computer science news on Phys.org
Considering the difficulty of making it work, might it be better and less expensive to give the game its own PC hardware?

You mean gpu passthrough?

Did you save the earlier image?

If the goal of the VM is only to play the game, then why mess with what is working?

Astalavista said:
You mean gpu passthrough?
GPU passthrough refers to allowing a VM to have direct access to the GPU as if it were native to the VM, instead of getting only the mediated access offered by the host OS ##-## I think that @anorlunda was referring to a non-VM implementation, i.e. running the game on its own real PC machine.

Likes anorlunda
I just need the game on virtual machine because I have a macro which I want to work on other desktop while I will be doing something else. It worked before, but I god damn can't remember what did I do.

So you want to farm or multi-box a MMORPG. I wonder: why have you asked this on a forum dedicated to learning and discussing Physics and other mainstream science?

Last edited:
Because i want to learn how to run a game/program on virtual machine.

Astalavista said:
It did work before i re-created machine, but I don't remember what did i do to get game working.
Astalavista said:
Because i want to learn how to run a game/program on virtual machine.
It sounds like you already learned, but forgot what you learned.

The point is, i did not even know what did I do. I mean, even when game worked I didn't know what did I do. I just installed random stuff and just worked...

1. What is a virtual machine and why would I use it for gaming?

A virtual machine is a software program that emulates a computer system, allowing you to run a different operating system or set of programs within your existing computer. Virtual machines are commonly used for gaming because they allow users to create a dedicated gaming environment without the need for separate physical hardware or dual-booting.

2. How do I troubleshoot game issues on a virtual machine?

The first step in troubleshooting game issues on a virtual machine is to ensure that the virtual machine is properly configured and has enough resources allocated to it. You should also make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed and that your virtual machine is running on a powerful enough host computer. If the issue persists, you may need to adjust the virtual machine's settings or consult the game's support resources for further assistance.

3. Can I play any game on a virtual machine?

While most games can be played on a virtual machine, there may be some compatibility issues with certain games. It is important to check the system requirements for the game and ensure that your virtual machine meets or exceeds those requirements. Additionally, some games may have trouble running on a virtual machine due to their use of specialized hardware, such as VR headsets.

4. Are there any specific settings I should adjust for gaming on a virtual machine?

Yes, there are a few settings that can greatly improve your gaming experience on a virtual machine. These include allocating enough RAM and CPU cores to the virtual machine, enabling hardware acceleration, and adjusting graphics settings within the virtual machine's control panel. You may also want to consider using a wired internet connection for better performance.

5. Can I save my game progress on a virtual machine?

Yes, you can save your game progress on a virtual machine just as you would on a physical computer. However, it is important to note that if you delete or reset the virtual machine, you will also lose your saved game data. It is recommended to back up your game progress regularly to an external storage device or the cloud to avoid losing it in case of any issues with the virtual machine.