by vijay_singh
Tags: dv or dt
Share this thread:
vijay_singh
Aug4-09, 12:02 AM
P: 28
I see in many text that a = dv/dt implies that

dv = a dt

How is that possible, can anybody please explain me. As far as i know dv/dt is a symbol for derivative of v w.r.t t and not ratio between dv and dt.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Cyrus
Aug4-09, 12:11 AM
P: 4,777
What you wrote is in differential form.
jgens
Aug4-09, 12:19 AM
P: 1,622
Rather than offer a sub-par explanation, this thread - with input from several knowledgeable members - should answer your questions: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=328193

bucher
Aug4-09, 12:21 AM
P: 77
A= dv/dt

dv/dt is not a symbol. It is the mathematical formula for the derivative of v with respect to t. This is how one would show any derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable.
vijay_singh
Aug4-09, 09:30 AM
Quote Quote by bucher View Post
dv/dt is not a symbol. It is the mathematical formula for the derivative of v with respect to t. This is how one would show any derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable.
And what did I say :-)
vijay_singh
Aug4-09, 09:31 AM
Quote Quote by jgens View Post
Rather than offer a sub-par explanation, this thread - with input from several knowledgeable members - should answer your questions: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=328193
Thanks Jgens, for pointing me to right direction.
arildno
Aug4-09, 09:56 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Now, WHY can we utilize at times the dv=adt formula, in particular, WHERE is it usable?

Answer:

When doing integration with the technique called substitution of variables (i.e the "inverse" of the chain rule):

Given a=dv/dt, we have, trivially:
[tex]\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}adt=\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\frac{dv}{dt}dt[/tex]
But the right-hand side can, by the theorem of substitution of variables, be reformulated, giving the identity:
[tex]\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}adt=\int_{v(t_{1})}^{v(t_{2})}dv=\int_{v_{1}}^{v_{2 }}dv[/tex]

Now, by IGNORING that the limits of integration actually refers to the limits of DIFFERENT variables, we "may say" that the "integrands" are equal, i.e, adt=dv!

Thus, adt=dv should, at this stage of your education, be regarded as notational garnish (or garbage, if you like!)

Register to reply