How can engineers get away with splitting differentials in dynamics?

• I
  • Thread starter Trying2Learn
  • Start date
In summary, This discusses how splitting the differential can sometimes work, but it can also be poor math. Engineers get away with it by practicing juggling.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
splitting the differential
In an introductory dynamics textbook, we often see this progression

v = ds/dt ---> dt = ds/v

a = dv/dt ---> dt = dv/a

Equating the dt, we get: vdv=ads

Now my question

On the one hand, this works for certain problems.
On the other hand, this is splitting the differential.

Could someone please explain

Why it works under certain conditions? How engineers get away with this?

If it is poor math to do this: why? Is it because one should never split the differential?

How can engineers get away with this?

I see that it does work, but only in ONE dimension.

This whole issue has always bothered me but I cannot state, with clarity, conviction, precision:
Why it is poor math to do this
Why we can get away with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists are usually pretty casual in dealing with differentials :smile: .
In the 'progression' you quote, the expressions at the left are vector equations; the ones on the right are scalar expressions.
Beginning physicists should be careful not to accidentally hop back and forth, or they risk overlooking a Jacobian and other useful mathematical goodies.

##\ ##

Likes fresh_42, topsquark and vanhees71
Trying2Learn said:
TL;DR Summary: splitting the differential

In an introductory dynamics textbook, we often see this progression

v = ds/dt ---> dt = ds/v

a = dv/dt ---> dt = dv/a

Equating the dt, we get: vdv=ads

Now my question

On the one hand, this works for certain problems.
On the other hand, this is splitting the differential.

Could someone please explain

Why it works under certain conditions? How engineers get away with this?

If it is poor math to do this: why? Is it because one should never split the differential?

How can engineers get away with this?

I see that it does work, but only in ONE dimension.

This whole issue has always bothered me but I cannot state, with clarity, conviction, precision:
Why it is poor math to do this
Why we can get away with it.
A formal proof of why this jugglery with "d"'s actually works is a nightmare because they are not even defined as solids at this level.
$$
\dfrac{ds}{dt}=\lim_{h \to 0}\dfrac{s(t+h)-s(t)}{h}
$$
Now, how would you isolate ##dt## here? I like to avoid such steps by using Weierstraß's formula: $$ s(t+h)= s(t)+ s'(t) \cdot h + o(h)$$ with a remainder ##o(h)## that is quadratic in ##h## so it vanishes fast as ##h## goes to zero. With that formula, Weierstraß has out all the limit stuff in the ##o(h)## term and we can work with them as there was no limit stuff.

You should be careful with
BvU said:
Physicists are usually pretty casual in dealing with differentials :smile: .
because: they have practiced juggling! It can go wrong!

fresh_42 said:
It can go wrong!
Tell me something I don't know :smile:

Been there, done that.

##\ ##

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn and fresh_42

1. How does splitting differentials in dynamics affect the overall performance of a system?

Splitting differentials in dynamics can improve the performance of a system by allowing for more precise control over individual components. This can lead to better efficiency, stability, and responsiveness of the system as a whole.

2. What are the potential risks associated with splitting differentials in dynamics?

Splitting differentials in dynamics can introduce complexity and potential points of failure in a system. If not designed and implemented correctly, it can lead to unexpected behavior and compromise the overall performance of the system.

3. How do engineers determine when it is necessary to split differentials in dynamics?

Engineers consider several factors when deciding whether to split differentials in dynamics, including the complexity and size of the system, the desired level of control and performance, and the potential risks and benefits. They also take into account the specific requirements and constraints of the project.

4. Can splitting differentials in dynamics be applied to any type of system?

Splitting differentials in dynamics can be applied to a wide range of systems, from mechanical and electrical systems to biological and chemical systems. However, the specific approach and techniques used may vary depending on the nature of the system and its components.

5. Are there any alternative methods to achieve similar results without splitting differentials in dynamics?

Yes, there are alternative methods to achieve similar results without splitting differentials in dynamics, such as using feedback control systems or implementing advanced algorithms. However, splitting differentials in dynamics can often provide a more efficient and effective solution in certain cases.