Acceleration as a Function of Time Using Constant Power

In summary,The equation given by the expert gives an acceleration as a function of time, but it is undefined when t is equal to 0. The acceleration also goes to infinity as time approaches 0.
Chenkel
Hello everyone! I was doing some dimensional analysis to find an equation that gives a acceleration as a function of time, using constant power. I came up with the equation $$a = k\sqrt {\frac P {mt}}$$ I differentiated velocity with respect to time in order to check my work and also checked out an online example and it turns out k is equal to ##\frac 1 {\sqrt 2}## I have two questions about the result, why is acceleration undefined when t is equal to 0, and also why does acceleration go to infinity as time approaches 0.

Any insight will be appreciated, thank you!

More details on how I checked the work:

$$Pt = {\frac 1 2}mv^2$$

$$v= \sqrt {2Pt/m}$$

$$a = \frac {dv} {dt} = \sqrt{\frac P {2mt}} $$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
t=0 is problematic because speed and therefore kinetic energy are zero at t=0. Power must also be zero or if you set power to something finite, acceleration is undefined (tending toward infinity). So, you pick your poison.

Likes Chenkel
russ_watters said:
t=0 is problematic because speed and therefore kinetic energy are zero at t=0. Power must also be zero or if you set power to something finite, acceleration is undefined (tending toward infinity). So, you pick your poison.
I agree that at t=0 kinetic energy will be 0, but what's problematic about having non zero power at that point ##{\frac {dE} {dt}} > 0## also I am confused why constant power can create infinite acceleration.

Chenkel said:
I agree that at t=0 kinetic energy will be 0, but what's problematic about having non zero power at that point ##{\frac {dE} {dt}} > 0##
How do you apply or calculate power/energy at t=0? You have to define your scenario for real-life and then describe it with the math. For example, in real life an electric motor applies constant torque to a shaft at all shaft speeds. So, what's the power at t=0?

Likes Chenkel
...a car engine with a continuously variable transmission is effectively a constant power device. How does the transmission work? As the output rpm varies, what else varies? As you go toward zero, what happens?

Likes Chenkel
I think if you replace the constant power with the following relationship, you'll see what's going on.

$$ P = \vec{ \mathbf{F} } \cdot \vec{ \mathbf{v} } $$

Likes vanhees71, Delta2, Chenkel and 1 other person
Chenkel said:
I agree that at t=0 kinetic energy will be 0, but what's problematic about having non zero power at that point ##{\frac {dE} {dt}} > 0## also I am confused why constant power can create infinite acceleration.
Since ##P=\vec f \cdot \vec v## if you try to keep ##P## constant then as ##\vec v## goes to 0 ##\vec f## increases without bound.

Likes vanhees71, Delta2 and Chenkel
Dale said:
Since ##P=\vec f \cdot \vec v## if you try to keep ##P## constant then as ##\vec v## goes to 0 ##\vec f## increases without bound.
Does this mean if I have constant power then pushing a ball forward will cause it to accelerate by a huge acceleration near t = 0 and an arbitrarily large acceleration as ##t \rightarrow 0##

Chenkel said:
huge acceleration near t = 0
It is a huge acceleration near ##\vec v=0##. Not necessarily near ##t=0##

Likes vanhees71 and Chenkel
Dale said:
It is a huge acceleration near ##\vec v=0##. Not necessarily near ##t=0##
But $$a = \frac {dv} {dt} = \sqrt{\frac P {2mt}} $$ so isn't the acceleration arbitrarily large as t approaches 0? Aren't both things true when power is constant, that for small velocity, acceleration is large?

Chenkel said:
But $$a = \frac {dv} {dt} = \sqrt{\frac P {2mt}} $$ so isn't the acceleration arbitrarily large as t approaches 0? Aren't both things true when power is constant, that for small velocity, acceleration is large?
Yes, but that is only one solution with constant power. There are other solutions where power is constant but ##v(0)\ne 0##. In those solutions the force increases without bound as ##\vec v## goes to 0, regardless of ##t##.

When you have two things happen together you have to be careful in generalizing that you don’t accidentally generalize the wrong thing.

Likes Chenkel
@Chenkel, start from the equation $$Pt=\frac{1}{2}mv^2-\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2$$, that is assuming that we have initial velocity ##v(0)=v_0\neq 0##, you will find out then that ##a,v## are finite for t=0.

Likes Chenkel
Chenkel said:
So, in practice constant power may not be physically realisable. Instead power must increase and decrease continuously from zero as speed increases from and decreases to zero.

There is a similar issue if you consider smaller and smaller masses. In your equation, the acceleration and final speed over a short initial period are unlimited IF you are genuinely capable of delivering constant power. In practice, it becomes harder to deliver power to a smaller mass. For example, you can put a lot of power into throwing something heavy (like a basketball), but not something very light, like a pea.

In fact, if you want to accelerate a pea, you are better flicking it with a finger than trying to use your big muscles, which simply cannot deliver much power to something as light as a pea.

Likes Chenkel
Let's make the problem 1D, i.e., a car driving along a straight street. Then you have
$$m \dot{v}=F, \quad P=vF=\text{const}.$$
So you get
$$m v \dot v =P \; \Rightarrow \; \frac{m}{2} (v^2-v_0^2) =P t,$$
where in the step I have simply integrated over ##t## from ##0## to ##t##, assuming an initial velocity ##v_0##. So you get
$$v=\sqrt{\frac{2Pt}{m}+v_0^2}.$$
Integrating once more
$$x=x_0 + \frac{m}{3P} \left[\left(v_0^2+\frac{2 P t}{m} \right)^{3/2}-v_0^3 \right].$$

Likes Chenkel, Delta2 and Dale
vanhees71 said:
$$m v \dot v =P \; \Rightarrow \; \frac{m}{2} (v^2-v_0^2) =P t,$$
I agree with the equation on the left and on the right, I just don't see how the first implies the second, it seems you might be using some kinematic formula to derive the second from the first.

Likes Delta2
Chenkel said:
I agree with the equation on the left and on the right, I just don't see how the first implies the second, it seems you might be using some kinematic formula to derive the second from the first.
Take integrals with respect to time t, in both sides of the first equality.

Likes vanhees71, erobz and Chenkel
It more clearly realized in Leibnitz notation:

$$ m v \dot v = P $$

is

$$ m v \frac{dv}{dt} = P $$

Which implies:

$$\int m v \, dv = \int P\, dt$$

With constant mass ##m## and power ##P## and initial velocity ## v_o## and time ## t_o = 0##

$$ \int m v \,dv = \frac{1}{2} m \left( v^2 - v_o^2 \right) = Pt = P\int dt $$

Last edited:
Likes Chenkel, vanhees71 and Delta2
PeroK said:
In practice, it becomes harder to deliver power to a smaller mass. For example, you can put a lot of power into throwing something heavy (like a basketball), but not something very light, like a pea.

So you're hand has a force on it ##F_{hand} = (m_{hand})(a_{hand}) ## and your ball has a different force but the same acceleration ##F_{ball} = (m_{ball})(a_{hand})## so this allows us to write ##F_{ball} = (m_{ball})(\frac {F_{hand}} {m_{hand}})## so we can see when the mass of the ball goes up, the force applied to the ball increases, thus increasing the power over the throwing interval which means you will impart more energy to a more massive object thrown.

• Informative
Likes Dale and Delta2
Chenkel said:
So you're hand has a force on it ##F_{hand} = (m_{hand})(a_{hand}) ## and your ball has a different force but the same acceleration ##F_{ball} = (m_{ball})(a_{hand})## so this allows us to write ##F_{ball} = (m_{ball})(\frac {F_{hand}} {m_{hand}})## so we can see when the mass of the ball goes up, the force applied to the ball increases, thus increasing the power over the throwing interval which means you will impart more energy to a more massive object thrown.
Until you try to throw your house, cannot even budge it and the delivered energy goes to zero.

Likes Chenkel
PeroK said:
In practice, it becomes harder to deliver power to a smaller mass. For example, you can put a lot of power into throwing something heavy (like a basketball), but not something very light, like a pea.

In fact, if you want to accelerate a pea, you are better flicking it with a finger than trying to use your big muscles, which simply cannot deliver much power to something as light as a pea.

Isn't the power (amount of work over time) that a human is able to do roughly constant? so it will take a longer time to accelerate that rock to the same velocity as the pea. Isn't it easier to deliver the power to the pea than the large mass since the power will translate into a longer distance traveled for the pea? I feel I'm missing something in my interpretation.

Chenkel said:
Isn't the power (amount of work over time) that a human is able to do roughly constant? so it will take a longer time to accelerate that rock to the same velocity as the pea. Isn't it easier to deliver the power to the pea than the large mass since the power will translate into a longer distance traveled for the pea? I feel I'm missing something in my interpretation.
Mechanical work is force times distance. Did you miss this?
jbriggs444 said:
Until you try to throw your house, cannot even budge it and the delivered energy goes to zero.
He is saying that since the distance you can move the house is zero, force times distance is zero, and work done is zero.

You are confusing effort, which is a biology question, with the physics of mechanical work.
A human uses energy just sitting there not moving, or more energy when pushing on a house, but he is not doing mechanical work in either case.

Likes Chenkel and jbriggs444
Chenkel said:
Setting the case of an immobile house to one side...

When you try to accelerate a pea, you will be expending most of your energy uselessly accelerating your hand. Only a fraction of the effort expended will be usefully applied as energy going into the pea.

So it is more difficult delivering energy to a pea (or ping-pong ball or paper wad) than to a baseball (or hammer or canoe paddle).

There is a sweet spot for human effort which professional bicyclists use. They will choose gearing so that they can use the optimal cadence for the desired velocity. A too slow cadence and you are not getting as much power as you could from the leg force. Too fast and you do not have time to build up maximum force and are wasting power flailing with the legs.

Likes Chenkel
Chenkel said:
Isn't the power (amount of work over time) that a human is able to do roughly constant?
No. It depends on the activity. How much power can you put into throwing a pea? Can you throw a pea faster than a tennis ball? Or, what about a grain of sand? Why can't you throw a grain of sand at the speed of a bullet?

Likes Chenkel and jbriggs444
Chenkel said:
Isn't the power (amount of work over time) that a human is able to do roughly constant?
Pretty much nothing is even roughly constant in biomechanics. The body is an incredibly messy machine.

Likes Chenkel
Dale said:
The body is an incredibly messy machine.
Yes , The two biggest mysteries of the universe are here right on this planet imho, it is the human body , and the even biggest mystery the human brain.

Likes Chenkel and Dale
PeroK said:
No. It depends on the activity. How much power can you put into throwing a pea? Can you throw a pea faster than a tennis ball? Or, what about a grain of sand? Why can't you throw a grain of sand at the speed of a bullet?
I believe we can see the problem more clearly when you divide the kinetic energy of the grain of sand by the kinetic energy of the hand $${KE}_{hand} = {\frac 1 2}{m_{hand}}v^2$$
$${KE}_{sand} = {\frac 1 2}{m_{sand}}v^2$$
$$ratio = \frac {{KE}_{sand}} {{KE}_{hand}} = {\frac {m_{sand}} {m_{hand}}}$$
The mass of a grain of sand is ##1.28 * 10^{-5}## and the mass of hand is ##4.6 * 10^{2}##
##ratio= \frac {1.28 * 10^{-5}} {4.6 * 10^{2}} = {5.88 * 10^{-7}}##

Thus for every joule of work we put toward the hand we have to put ##{5.88 * 10^{-7}}## joules of energy toward the grain of sand, this means to impart one joule to the grain of sand we would have to impart ##\frac 1 {5.88 * 10^{-7}} = {1.7 * 10^{6}}## or ##1.7## million joules to the hand. So the percentage of power going to the grain of sand is very small.

Likes Delta2
Chenkel said:
Thus for every joule of work we put toward the hand we have to put ##{5.88 * 10^{-7}}## joules of energy toward the grain of sand, this means to impart one joule to the grain of sand we would have to impart ##\frac 1 {5.88 * 10^{-7}} = {1.7 * 10^{6}}## or ##1.7## million joules to the hand. So the percentage of power going to the grain of sand is very small.
There's a maximum speed that we can move our hand even with nothing in it. That's a limiting factor. That's why it's possible to flick a pea with a fingertip as far as we can throw it - more or less.

• Informative
Likes Chenkel and Delta2
Chenkel said:
I believe we can see the problem more clearly when you divide the kinetic energy of the grain of sand by the kinetic energy of the hand $${KE}_{hand} = {\frac 1 2}{m_{hand}}v^2$$
$${KE}_{sand} = {\frac 1 2}{m_{sand}}v^2$$
$$ratio = \frac {{KE}_{sand}} {{KE}_{hand}} = {\frac {m_{sand}} {m_{hand}}}$$
The mass of a grain of sand is ##1.28 * 10^{-5}## and the mass of hand is ##4.6 * 10^{2}##
##ratio= \frac {1.28 * 10^{-5}} {4.6 * 10^{2}} = {5.88 * 10^{-7}}##

I may have made a mistake here, I believe an average hand is .46kg.

• Informative
Likes Delta2

1. What is acceleration as a function of time using constant power?

Acceleration as a function of time using constant power is a mathematical model that describes how an object's velocity changes over time when a constant amount of power is applied to it. This model is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects.

2. How is acceleration calculated using constant power?

Acceleration can be calculated using constant power by dividing the power applied to an object by its mass. This results in a value known as the acceleration due to constant power, which is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and time using constant power?

The relationship between acceleration and time using constant power is a linear one. This means that as time increases, the acceleration of an object will also increase at a constant rate.

4. How does the value of constant power affect acceleration as a function of time?

The value of constant power directly affects the acceleration of an object over time. A higher value of constant power will result in a greater acceleration, while a lower value of constant power will result in a smaller acceleration.

5. What are some real-world applications of acceleration as a function of time using constant power?

Acceleration as a function of time using constant power is used in many real-world applications, such as analyzing the motion of rockets and other spacecraft, designing roller coasters, and understanding the movement of vehicles in traffic. It is also used in sports science to study the acceleration of athletes during various activities.