Deriving Navier-Stokes Equation

In summary, the Navier-Stokes equation is a differential equation that describes the motion of a viscous Newtonian fluid. It is derived by considering the forces acting on an infinitesimal fluid element, including gravity, pressure gradient, and tangential forces. The stress tensor and velocity gradient tensor are related through Newton's law of viscosity, and the 3D version of this equation is used to include changes in stresses from one side of the cube to the other. The final equation includes terms for acceleration, velocity gradient, pressure gradient, and gravity, and can be used to solve for the velocity of the fluid.
Apashanka
Just trying to derive the Navier-Stokes equation.
(1)The velocity at any point in space of an infinitesimal fluid element is v(x,y,z,t)
(2) acceleration ##\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}+\sum_i\frac{\partial v_i}{\partial x_i}{\dot x_i}##
##a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}+\sum_i\frac{\partial v_i}{\partial x_i}{v_i}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}+(v • \nabla)v=\frac{Dv}{Dt}##
On the Rhs
(1) g acceleration due to gravity.
(2) acceleration due to pressure gradient (due to normal force on the surface)=##-\frac{\nabla p}{\rho}##
Therefore ##\frac{Dv}{Dt}=g-\frac{\nabla p}{\rho}##+acceleration due to the tangential forces on the infinitesimal fluid element
Can anyone please help me out in how to calculate the acceleration due to tangential forces on the surface??
For the cubical infinitesimal volume element having edges dx,dy,dz
##F_x=\eta \frac{dv_x}{dz}|_{x,y}dxdy##
##F_y=\eta \frac{dv_y}{dz}|_{x,y}dx dy##
##F_z=\eta \frac{dv_z}{dy}|_{x,z}dx dz##
##a_x=\frac{\eta \frac{dv_x}{dz}|_{x,y}}{\rho dz}##
##a_y=\frac{\eta \frac{dv_y}{dz}|_{x,y}}{\rho dz}##
##a_z=\frac{\eta \frac{dv_z}{dy}|_{x,z}}{\rho dy}##
##\eta## is the coefficient of viscocity
Can anyone please help me in how to proceed further to put these terms in the RHS of the navier Stokes equation??
Here is a rough diagram
IMG_20190325_134944.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between the 6 components of the stress tensor and the components of the velocity gradient tensor for a viscous Newtonian fluid?

In your differential force balance equation, you omitted the term representing the divergence of the viscous stress tensor. Why?

Chestermiller said:
What is the relationship between the 6 components of the stress tensor and the components of the velocity gradient tensor for a viscous Newtonian fluid?
The stress tensor components are ##\sigma_{ij}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial v^i}{\partial x^j}+\frac{\partial v^j}{\partial x^i})## and from Newton's law of viscocity the shear stress ##\tau=\eta \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}## that's what I have used...
But what will be the actual result and how it is coming will you please suggest...is my approach wrong??
I want to just do it with a very simplectic approach...

Last edited:
Apashanka said:
The stress tensor components are ##\sigma_{ij}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial v^i}{\partial x^j}+\frac{\partial v^j}{\partial x^i})## and from Newton's law of viscocity the shear stress ##\tau=\eta \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}## that's what I have used...
This equation ##\tau=\eta \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}## is the one dimensional version of this equation ##\sigma_{ij}=\frac{\eta}{2}(\frac{\partial v^i}{\partial x^j}+\frac{\partial v^j}{\partial x^i})##. You need to use the 3D version in deriving the NS equation.
But what will be the actual result and how it is coming will you please suggest...is my approach wrong??
I want to just do it with a very simplectic approach...
You can't do it with the simplistic approach because it is 3D. Also, in your approach, you omitted the changes in the stresses from one side of the cube to the other. The missing terms in your force balance are, for the x component, $$\frac{\partial \sigma_{xx}}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial \sigma_{xy}}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial \sigma_{xz}}{\partial z}$$

Likes Apashanka and BvU
Okk using ##\sigma_{ij}=\frac{\mu}{2}(\partial_j v^i+\partial_i v^j)## the Rhs comes as ##\frac{\mu}{2\rho}(\nabla^2 v)+\frac{1}{2\rho}(\nabla(\nabla • v))-\frac{\nabla p}{\rho}+g=\frac{Dv}{Dt}##

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid. It takes into account factors such as fluid density, viscosity, and velocity to determine the forces acting on the fluid.

2. How is the Navier-Stokes equation derived?

The Navier-Stokes equation is derived from the fundamental laws of physics, including conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. It involves applying the principles of calculus and fluid mechanics to a small volume of fluid, known as a control volume, and then taking the limit as the size of the control volume approaches zero.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is derived under several assumptions, including that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, and the fluid has a constant viscosity. These assumptions make the equation simpler and more applicable to real-world scenarios.

4. What are the applications of the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation has a wide range of applications in various fields, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, weather forecasting, and biomedical engineering. It is used to model and analyze fluid flow in pipes, around objects, and in other complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Navier-Stokes equation?

While the Navier-Stokes equation is a powerful tool for understanding fluid dynamics, it does have some limitations. It is only valid for certain types of fluids and flow conditions, and it becomes increasingly complex for turbulent flows. Additionally, it does not take into account factors such as surface tension and compressibility, which may be important in certain scenarios.