Books on Astrophysics/Nucleosynthesis

• Thread starter bgreer76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: Other recommendations include "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. "The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe" by Theodore Gray is a visually stunning and informative book on the formation of elements. In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking book recommendations on topics related to the universe, specifically the Big Bang, nucleosynthesis, and planet composition. They mention their background in biochemistry and A-level subjects, and ask for suggestions on books that may be more in-depth. Some recommended titles are "The First Three Minutes" by Steve Weinberg, "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking, "A Brief History of Time
bgreer76
Hello everyone

this is my 1st post and it is to ask for some advice regarding books. I have taken an interest of late in the universe and so far have read the following books:

- The Fabric of the Cosmos (Brian Greene)
- The Big Bang (Simon Singh)
- The Magic Furnace (Marcus Chown)
- In Search of Schrodinger's Cat (John Gribbin)
- Stardust (John Gribbin)
- Cosmos (Carl Sagan)

From reading these I have found that I am most interested in the Big Bang, the formation of the elements in stars and supernovae (nucleosynthesis) & the composition of planets. I was just wondering if anyone can recommend any other books on these topics that may be a bit more in depth than the ones listed.

As a bit of background on my 'intellectual ability', I have a degree in Biochemistry (10 years ago) and have worked in the area doing research since graduating. I did A-level Chemistry, Physics & Maths, however, this was around 15 years ago and my strongest subject would be chemistry which I have used almost daily in the last 10 years for my job.
I have seen a book called; Nucleosynthesis & Stellar Evolution but I am not sure if it would be too technical for me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A great book on the big bang is "The First Three Minutes" by Steve Weinberg.

What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on understanding the physical nature of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe. It combines principles from physics, such as mechanics and electromagnetism, with observations and data from astronomical sources to study the behavior and evolution of stars, galaxies, and other cosmic objects.

What is nucleosynthesis?

Nucleosynthesis is the process by which new atomic nuclei are formed from simpler elements. It occurs in the cores of stars, where high temperatures and pressures cause atoms to fuse together, creating heavier elements. Nucleosynthesis is also responsible for the production of elements such as hydrogen, helium, and lithium during the early stages of the universe's formation.

How do books on astrophysics/nucleosynthesis differ from other science books?

Books on astrophysics and nucleosynthesis are specialized texts that focus specifically on these topics within the larger field of science. They often require a basic understanding of physics and mathematics, and delve into complex theories and equations to explain the workings of the universe. These books may also include data and observations from telescopes and other astronomical instruments.

What are some common topics covered in books on astrophysics/nucleosynthesis?

Some common topics covered in these books include the formation and evolution of stars, the structure and composition of the universe, the role of gravity and other forces in shaping celestial objects, and the origins of elements and their distribution throughout the cosmos. Other topics may include black holes, dark matter, and the search for extraterrestrial life.

Are books on astrophysics/nucleosynthesis accessible to non-scientists?

While some books on these topics may be geared towards a more technical audience, there are also books written for a general audience that can provide an introduction to astrophysics and nucleosynthesis. These books may use less technical language and focus more on the overarching concepts and discoveries in these fields. However, a basic understanding of science and mathematics may still be necessary to fully grasp the content.