Book Around the Subjects of Supernovae and Stellar Remenants

In summary, David Stevenson is interested in studying supernovae and exotic stellar remnants. He is considering doing a degree in astrophysics. David has some background in mathematics, covering calculus IV and matrix algebra, linear equations, set theory, and number theory. He is still rusty in terms of astrophysics, but he is interested in the subject and would like to learn more. Computer science is simpler than astrophysics, according to David.
RyanJ
Hi all!

It has been quite a while since I last posted here. Again.

I'm currently interested in supernovae and the exotic stellar remnants that are left behind from such events. I'm interested in the physics and science surrounding this subject, it's something that I currently have an interest in and want to learn more about. I'm considering doing a degree in astrophysics as I've found myself with quite a bit more free time recently. I'm brushing up on my physics (it's been a while since I used it).

I have no problem with them being technical and in-depth and would prefer the details as opposed to the popular science explanations, though I'll happily take a look at those too. I've gone through as much YouTube as I can find on the subject, but I find myself wanting for more information about the subjects. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty with the math and whatnot.

I'd also be interested in any books about the more theoretical stellar remnants, such as quark stars.

If anyone has any suggestions then I would more than welcome them.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What physics and math do you already know?

If you have not done so yet, I would consider studying a general astrophysics book first.

Last edited:
Likes RyanJ
malawi_glenn said:
What physics and math do you already know?

If you have not done so yet, I would consider studying a general astrophysics book first.

I actually started studying astrophysics before I dropped off the academic ladder after suffering a breakdown. I was about 2 years in, so not an expert (by any stretch) but I'm not completely oblivious either. I ended up restarting my education from a different direction, but I'm still considering pivoting back to astrophysics in the future. At present I'm going down a general computer science approach, but I've always loved astrophysics (well........ all of science really) and really want to go back to the subject in the future.

In terms of my background in mathematics, I've covered the equivalent of calculus IV (I'm not sure if this is the same everywhere, but here that would be the level of differential calculus), matrix algebra, linear equations, some set theory and some number theory.

I still frequently read astrophysics papers, but I'm somewhat rusty and in need of practice. I've still got my copy of "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" (and some other books around physics, relativity, etc.), though I've worked through all of the examples and whatnot in those. I'll happily go through any introductory books you suggest, in addition to any on the subject I'm interested in. I'll not turn anything down!

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
For the subject you are interested in you also need a fair share of general relativity and statistical physics and so on.

Anyway we used the book by Shapiro but it is quite old and we also got suppleantary materials to read. I did enjoy the book though it was quite pedagocial and nice to read.

Likes vanhees71 and RyanJ
malawi_glenn said:
For the subject you are interested in you also need a fair share of general relativity and statistical physics and so on.

Anyway we used the book by Shapiro but it is quite old and we also got suppleantary materials to read. I did enjoy the book though it was quite pedagocial and nice to read.

Thank you, I'll add it to the list. Like I said, I'm a bit rusty and I need to get pack into practice. I know it's a very... complex and difficult topic, but that'll be good motivation for me to get back into practice.

Computer science is far simpler. Far, far simpler.

Likes vanhees71
RyanJ said:
Thank you, I'll add it to the list. Like I said, I'm a bit rusty and I need to get pack into practice. I know it's a very... complex and difficult topic, but that'll be good motivation for me to get back into practice.

Computer science is far simpler. Far, far simpler.

Well lots of modern astrophysics is computational driven :) maybe this would be interesting to you as well

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1108928250/?tag=pfamazon01-20https://www.amazon.com/dp/052151407X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

• Love
Likes RyanJ
  • Love
Likes RyanJ and vanhees71

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful explosion that occurs at the end of a star's life. It is the largest explosion that can happen in space and releases an enormous amount of energy and matter into the surrounding space.

2. How do supernovae form?

Supernovae can form in two ways: through the collapse of a massive star or through a thermonuclear explosion in a white dwarf star. In the first scenario, the star runs out of fuel and its core collapses, causing a massive explosion. In the second scenario, the white dwarf star accumulates too much mass from a nearby companion star and explodes due to the intense pressure.

3. What is a stellar remnant?

A stellar remnant is the leftover material from a star after it has gone through a supernova explosion. Depending on the size of the star, the remnant can be a neutron star, a black hole, or a white dwarf.

4. How do scientists study supernovae and stellar remnants?

Scientists use various techniques and tools to study supernovae and stellar remnants. These include telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. They also observe the radiation and particles emitted from these objects to gather information about their composition and behavior.

5. Why are supernovae and stellar remnants important to study?

Supernovae and stellar remnants provide valuable insights into the life cycle of stars and the processes that occur in the universe. They also play a crucial role in the formation of new stars and planets. Additionally, studying these objects can help us understand the origins of elements and the evolution of the universe.