Register to reply

Bullet fired at a Hinged door (rotational velocity problem)

by Number47
Tags: angular velocity, bullet, door, momentum
Share this thread:
Number47
Apr17-10, 06:20 PM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A 0.005-kg bullet traveling horizontally with a speed of 1.00 103 m/s enters an 17.2-kg door, imbedding itself 9.8 cm from the side opposite the hinges as in the figure below. The 1.00-m-wide door is free to swing on its hinges.

relevant img: http://www.webassign.net/sercp8/p8-56.gif

At what angular speed does the door swing open immediately after the collision? (The door has the same moment of inertia as a rod with axis at one end.)

Calculate the energy of the door-bullet system and determine whether it is less than or equal to the kinetic energy of the bullet before the collision.

2. Relevant equations
moment of inertia=(1/3)mL^2

KErotational= (1/2)*I*Wf^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the moment of inertia for the door and bullet system I=(1/3)(17.205kg)(1.0m-.098m)^2=4.66

Then i set the KE of the bullet equal to the KE of the door bullet system equal to each other and solved for Wf

Wf=sqrt((.005kg*(1000m/s)^2)/4.66) and got the answer to be 32.76rad/s which sounds way to big to be true. This is due just before midnight tonight, so thanks in advance for any help
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
Doc Al
Apr17-10, 06:27 PM
Mentor
P: 41,293
Quote Quote by Number47 View Post
Then i set the KE of the bullet equal to the KE of the door bullet system equal to each other and solved for Wf
KE is not conserved--it's a perfectly inelastic collision. (If it were conserved, the second question would be rather trivial.)

What is conserved?
Matterwave
Apr17-10, 06:28 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,652
The KE is not conserved since this collision is inelastic. Linear momentum is also not conserved due to external (tension) forces keeping the door on its hinge.

Angular momentum; however, should be conserved as there are no external torques. The tension forces are radial in direction.

Number47
Apr17-10, 06:34 PM
Bullet fired at a Hinged door (rotational velocity problem)

so how should i set this up then? as 2 rotational velocities with different moments of inertia?
Number47
Apr17-10, 06:40 PM
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
KE is not conserved--it's a perfectly inelastic collision. (If it were conserved, the second question would be rather trivial.)

What is conserved?
momentum would be conserved then. so do i set it up as initial linear momentum equals final rotational momentum?
Matterwave
Apr17-10, 06:48 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,652
You can't have a linear momentum equaling an angular momentum, they are different phenomena which are measured in different units.

You want initial angular momentum equal to final angular momentum.

Register to reply