Linear Momentum to Angular Momentum

In summary, the problem involves a 10 g bullet with a linear momentum of 4 kg m/s striking a 10 kg, 1.2-m-wide door at the edge opposite the hinge. The bullet embeds itself in the door, causing the door to swing open. The question is asking for the angular velocity of the door immediately after impact, which can be found by setting the angular momentum of the bullet equal to the angular momentum of the door. This calculation takes into account the fact that the hinges prevent the door's center of mass from moving in a straight line.
brad hars

Homework Statement

A 10 g bullet traveling at 400 m/s strikes a 10 kg , 1.2-m-wide door at the edge opposite the hinge. The bullet embeds itself in the door, causing the door to swing open. What is the angular velocity of the door immediately after impact?

Homework Equations

p[/B]= mv
L = Iω

The Attempt at a Solution

For the bullet:
p = (0.010) * (400) = 4
For the door:
I = (1/3)(10.01)(1.2)^2 = 4.8048

Momentum is conserved.
p = Iω
4 = 4.8048 * ω
ω = 0.833
This seems right, and I've traced it over again and still seems right, but it's not and I can't seem to find out why.

Physics news on Phys.org
brad hars said:
p = Iω
Here is your problem. You are setting linear momentum p equal to angular momentum Iω.

Well, yea. Because the bullet goes in the door and all that linear momentum p goes into angular momentum. I'm not sure what else I could do with it.

brad hars said:
Well, yea. Because the bullet goes in the door and all that linear momentum p goes into angular momentum. I'm not sure what else I could do with it.
Try to calculate the angular momentum of the bullet. Angular momentum and linear momentum are two separate quantities.

Linear momentum is not conserved because the hinges prevent the door's center of mass from moving in a straight line. You have to set the angular momentum of the bullet (relative to the hinges) equal to the angular momentum of the door (also relative to the hinges). Keep apples with apples and oranges with oranges.

But doesn't the bullet have 0 angular momentum?

Not with respect to the hinges. ##\vec{L}=\vec r \times \vec p##.

1. What is the difference between linear momentum and angular momentum?

Linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and its linear velocity, while angular momentum is the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, linear momentum refers to an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to its rotational motion.

2. How is linear momentum related to angular momentum?

Linear momentum and angular momentum are related through the concept of conservation of momentum. In a closed system, the total momentum (both linear and angular) remains constant, meaning that a change in one type of momentum will result in a corresponding change in the other.

3. How do you calculate the angular momentum of an object?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, while angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates.

4. What factors affect an object's angular momentum?

The main factors that affect an object's angular momentum are its moment of inertia and its angular velocity. Additionally, external forces such as torque can also impact an object's angular momentum.

5. Can linear momentum be converted into angular momentum?

Yes, linear momentum can be converted into angular momentum and vice versa. This can occur through the application of external forces or through changes in the object's moment of inertia or angular velocity.