Momentum problem -- Two bullets fired into a block

In summary: No, that's taking the work to be the same, which clearly it isn't. The 0.08m penetration is only for the case where the block was held fixed.
Zynoakib

Homework Statement

A 7.00-g bullet, when fired from a gun into a 1.00-kg
block of wood held in a vise, penetrates the block to a
depth of 8.00 cm. This block of wood is next placed on
a frictionless horizontal surface, and a second 7.00-g
bullet is fired from the gun into the block. To what
depth will the bullet penetrate the block in this case?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

KE of bullet = 1/2 (0.007)v^2 = 0.0035v^2

Work done during deceleration
W = Fs
0.0035v^2 = F(0.08) = 0.04375v^2

Find the distance of penetration in the second scenario
KE of the bullet = KE of the block and bullet + energy loss due to friction
0.0035v^2 = 1/2 (1 + 0.007)(final velocity of the block and bullet) + 0.04375v^2 (s)

The final velocity of the block and the bullet:
Momenta of the block and the bullet before impact = momenta of the block and the bullet after impact
(0.007)(v) + 0 = (1 + 0.007)(final velocity)
v = 143.857(final velocity)

0.0035v^2 = 1/2 (1 + 0.007)(final velocity of the block and bullet) + 0.04375v^2
0.0035 (143.857(final velocity))^2 = 1/2 (1 + 0.007)(final velocity of the block and bullet) + 0.04375 (143.857(final velocity))^2
72.43 = 0.5035(final velocity)^2 + 905.4 (s)

Then I cannot proceed with the calculation anymore as I cannot solve the two unknowns.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think the relationship might be between the depth of penetration and the work done against friction?

haruspex said:
What do you think the relationship might be between the depth of penetration and the work done against friction?

The KE of the bullet would all be converted to work done against friction so that the bullet would stop at 8 cm

Zynoakib said:
The KE of the bullet would all be converted to work done against friction so that the bullet would stop at 8 cm
That isn't what I asked. My question would apply equally if the bullet were to be pushed in slowly by a powerful piston.

haruspex said:
That isn't what I asked. My question would apply equally if the bullet were to be pushed in slowly by a powerful piston.

work done against friction = Frictional force x depth of penetration ?

Zynoakib said:
work done against friction = Frictional force x depth of penetration ?
Right. If you assume that force is constant and the same in both cases, do you see how to solve the problem?

=
haruspex said:
Right. If you assume that force is constant and the same in both cases, do you see how to solve the problem?

Like this? I did use that. I just don't know how to continue with calculation as there are unsolvable unknowns at the end

Zynoakib said:
Work done during deceleration
W = Fs

Zynoakib said:
Like this?
I did use that. I just don't know how to continue with calculation as there are unsolvable unknowns at the end
No, that's taking the work to be the same, which clearly it isn't. The 0.08m penetration is only for the case where the block was held fixed. When the block is allowed to move the penetration will be different, but the force is the same.

1. How do you calculate momentum in this situation?

In order to calculate momentum, you will need to know the mass of each bullet and the initial velocity at which they were fired. The equation for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. You will also need to determine the direction of the momentum, which can be either positive or negative depending on the direction the bullets were fired.

2. Can momentum change in this problem?

Yes, momentum can change in this situation. Whenever there is an external force acting on an object, its momentum can change. In this case, the bullets will exert a force on the block upon impact, causing the block's momentum to change.

3. How can you determine the final velocity of the block after impact?

To determine the final velocity of the block after impact, you will need to use the conservation of momentum principle. This states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. Set up an equation using the initial momenta of the bullets and the mass and velocity of the block, and solve for the final velocity.

4. Does the mass of the bullets affect the final velocity of the block?

Yes, the mass of the bullets will affect the final velocity of the block. According to the conservation of momentum principle, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that if the mass of the bullets is increased, the final velocity of the block will also increase.

5. Is momentum conserved in this problem?

Yes, in this situation momentum is conserved. The conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In this problem, the bullets and the block make up a closed system, meaning that there are no external forces acting on them, so momentum is conserved.