What is the correct way to find the inertia of a bullet entering a door?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a bullet striking a door and causing it to swing open. The question is to find the angular velocity of the door after impact. The conversation covers various approaches and equations, ultimately leading to the correct solution of using the angular momentum of the bullet and the door to find the angular velocity.
Raisintoe
I am having trouble with this one problem. I have tried multiple times to solve it, but come up with the same wrong answer every time. The mistake that I may be making is in finding the Inertia of the bullet entering the door: I figured that some mass at the given radius from the hinge of the door should have an inertia I = M*R^2, is this correct? I = ∫r^2*dm

1. Homework Statement

A 10 g bullet traveling at 350m/s strikes a 12kg , 1.2-m-wide door at the edge opposite the hinge. The bullet embeds itself in the door, causing the door to swing open.

What is the angular velocity of the door just after impact?

Homework Equations

Inertia of the door = ⅓*M*L^2 where L is the Width of the door: ⅓*(12kg)*(1.2m)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have taken the approach of finding the kinetic energy of the bullet: ½*M*V^2 and then converting that energy to rotational energy of the door. As I understand it, all energy should be rotational energy because the door swings on its end.

I find the angular velocity of the door (ω) by using: ω = √((M_bullet*V^2)/(⅓*M_door*L^2 + M_bullet*L^2)) = √((M_bullet*(V/L)^2)/(⅓*M_door + M_bullet)). I figured this equation from: KE_bullet = E_door = ½*M_bullet*V^2 = ½*(⅓*M_door*L^2 + M_bullet*L^2)*ω^2I think that I am going wrong when I try to find the Inertia of the bullet: Is it M*L^2? (0.01kg)*(1.2m)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Raisintoe said:
I am having trouble with this one problem. I have tried multiple times to solve it, but come up with the same wrong answer every time. The mistake that I may be making is in finding the Inertia of the bullet entering the door: I figured that some mass at the given radius from the hinge of the door should have an inertia I = M*R^2, is this correct? I = ∫r^2*dm

1. Homework Statement

A 10 g bullet traveling at 350m/s strikes a 12kg , 1.2-m-wide door at the edge opposite the hinge. The bullet embeds itself in the door, causing the door to swing open.

What is the angular velocity of the door just after impact?

Homework Equations

Inertia of the door = ⅓*M*L^2 where L is the Width of the door: ⅓*(12kg)*(1.2m)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have taken the approach of finding the kinetic energy of the bullet: ½*M*V^2 and then converting that energy to rotational energy of the door. As I understand it, all energy should be rotational energy because the door swings on its end.I find the angular velocity of the door (ω) by using: ω = √((M_bullet*V^2)/(⅓*M_door*L^2 + M_bullet*L^2)) = √((M_bullet*(V/L)^2)/(⅓*M_door + M_bullet)). I figured this equation from: KE_bullet = E_door = ½*M_bullet*V^2 = ½*(⅓*M_door*L^2 + M_bullet*L^2)*ω^2I think that I am going wrong when I try to find the Inertia of the bullet: Is it M*L^2? (0.01kg)*(1.2m)^2
No, you are right, the moment of inertia of the bullet is MbulletL2.
But it is not true that the kinetic energy of the bullet converts to he rotational energy of the door(with bullet embedded). Energy is not conserved, but the angular momentum is.
What is the angular momentum of the bullet with respect to the hinge before collision?

OK, Thank you, I got it now:

I_bullet = M_bullet*L^2:

P_bullet = I_bullet*V/L = M_bullet*L*V:

ω = P_bullet/(I_bullet + I_door)

Raisintoe said:
OK, Thank you, I got it now:

I_bullet = M_bullet*L^2:

P_bullet = I_bullet*V/L = M_bullet*L*V:

ω = P_bullet/(I_bullet + I_door)
It is all right now :)

Your approach is correct in finding the angular velocity of the door after impact. However, the mistake you are making is in finding the inertia of the bullet entering the door.

The inertia of an object is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. In this case, the bullet entering the door does not have its own rotational motion. Therefore, the correct way to find the inertia of the bullet would be to use the formula I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the bullet and r is the distance from the axis of rotation (in this case, the hinge of the door).

Since the bullet embeds itself in the door, its distance from the hinge can be taken as the radius of the door, which is 0.6 m (half of the door's width). Therefore, the inertia of the bullet would be I = (0.01 kg)(0.6 m)^2 = 0.0036 kg m^2.

Using this value for the inertia of the bullet in your calculation for the angular velocity of the door should give you the correct answer.

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is a property of matter that describes an object's resistance to changes in its state of motion. It is directly proportional to an object's mass, meaning that the more mass an object has, the more inertia it has.

2. How does inertia affect motion?

Inertia affects motion by causing objects to maintain their current state of motion, whether it is at rest or in motion. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force, and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. Why is inertia important?

Inertia is important because it is one of the fundamental principles of motion and is necessary for understanding many other concepts in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as designing structures and vehicles to withstand forces and maintain stability.

4. How is inertia related to mass?

Inertia is directly proportional to mass, meaning that the more mass an object has, the more inertia it has. This is because objects with more mass require more force to change their state of motion, so they have a greater resistance to changes in motion.

5. Can inertia be overcome?

While inertia itself cannot be overcome, it can be overcome by an external force. This is demonstrated by the fact that objects at rest can be set in motion and objects in motion can be brought to a stop when acted upon by external forces. However, without external forces, an object's inertia will cause it to maintain its current state of motion.