Moment of inertia -- a lump of clay hits and adheres to a rotating stick....

In summary, the problem involves a thin stick of mass 3.9 kg and length 1.8 m that is hinged at the top. A piece of clay with mass 0.3 kg and velocity 2.9 m/s hits the stick a distance of 1.60 m from the hinge and sticks to it. To find the angular velocity of the stick immediately after the collision, the conservation of angular momentum is used. This is because while there is no initial angular momentum, there is angular momentum after the collision due to the motion of the stick and clay together. The relevant equation used is I = (1/3)(m+M)x^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the system about
Kosta1234

Homework Statement

A thin stick of mass M = 3.9 kg and length L = 1.8 m is hinged at the top. A piece of clay, mass m = 0.3 kg and velocity V = 2.9 m/s hits the stick a distance x = 1.60 m from the hinge and sticks to it. What is the angular velocity of the stick immediately after the collision?

Homework Equations

I = 1/3mx^2
I = mx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

in my first attemps I tried to use conservation of energy, but I realized that it's an inelastic collision so the energy is no conserved (right?)
than I tried to use the conservation of angular momentum.
there is no angular momentum while the ball flying towards the door.
so can I use:
m*v (of the ball) = Iw (of the door, with the ball)
I = ((m+M)*x^2)/3
and to plug in the moment of inertia to the equation above to find the angular velocity.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-19_17-40-48.png
    upload_2018-1-19_17-40-48.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 941
  • upload_2018-1-19_17-40-55.png
    upload_2018-1-19_17-40-55.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 829
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us what you tried in detail?

Yes, ofcourse thanks.
Well this is the full question:

A thin stick of mass M = 3.9 kg and length L = 1.8 m is hinged at the top. A piece of clay, mass m = 0.3 kg and velocity V = 2.9 m/s hits the stick a distance x = 1.60 m from the hinge and sticks to it. What is the angular velocity of the stick immediately after the collision?

in my first attemps I tried to use conservation of energy, but I realized that it's an inelastic collision so the energy is no conserved (right?)
there is no angular momentum while the ball flying towards the door.
so can I use?:
I = ((m+M)*x^2)/3
and to plug in the moment of inertia to the equation above to find the angular velocity.

Kosta1234 said:
Yes, ofcourse thanks.
Well this is the full question:

Right.
Good!
but in the first, there is no angular momentum only the momentum of the ball that flies in a constant speed towards the door.
Think again! A moving object has angular momentum about any point that is not on the line containing the velocity vector of that object.
can I use:
Almost...
Look up the moment of inertia of a point mass :wink:

edit: Actually, your second Relevant Equation is what you're looking for!

ok I tried this time this:
mv = (1/3Mx^2)*w + (mx^2)*w ?
while x - distance from rotation axis.
w - angular velocity
m - mass of the ball
M - mass of the door

it still doesn't work. but can I say that the linear momentum goes completely to angular momentum?

Kosta1234 said:
ok I tried this time this:
mv = (1/3Mx^2)*w + (mx^2)*w ?
while x - distance from rotation axis.
w - angular velocity
m - mass of the ball
M - mass of the door

it still doesn't work. but can I say that the linear momentum goes completely to angular momentum?
No, you can't say that. Linear and angular momenta are two different things and can't be equated.

Start by determining the angular momentum of the system (about the pivot point) before the clay lump impacts the rod. What do you know about the angular momentum of an isolated system?

ok I got it!
thank you very much!

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How does a lump of clay adhering to a rotating stick affect the moment of inertia?

When a lump of clay adheres to a rotating stick, it changes the distribution of mass and therefore affects the moment of inertia. The more mass the clay adds to the stick, the greater the moment of inertia will be.

3. Does the speed of rotation affect the moment of inertia in this situation?

Yes, the speed of rotation does affect the moment of inertia. The faster the stick is rotating, the greater the moment of inertia will be.

4. How can we calculate the moment of inertia for this scenario?

The moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object's center of mass.

5. What is the significance of moment of inertia in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the behavior of rotating objects. It is used in many real-world applications such as designing machines and determining the stability of structures.