by koat
Tags: diameter, resistance, wire
Share this thread:
koat
Nov16-10, 12:52 PM
P: 40
hi everybody

Question:
a length of uniform wire has a R of 2 ohms. calculate the R of a wire of the same metal and original length but twice the diameter.

I thought as the wire gets twice as thick the R must halve to 1ohms. But the solution is 0.5 ohms.
what did i do wrong?

thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
cepheid
Nov16-10, 12:56 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,197
Can you list for me the parameters that resistance depends upon? (Hint: it does not depend *directly* on the diameter.) Which one of these parameters is relevant here?
koat
Nov16-10, 01:00 PM
is it that the R decreases when the A increases?

cepheid
Nov16-10, 01:03 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
What happens with the resistance of a wire with twice the diameter

Yes, cross-sectional area is one of the parameters on which resistance depends. (I had asked you to list all of the parameters, but this one is the relevant one here). So, what does changing the diameter do to the area? What does that resulting change in area do to the resistance?
koat
Nov16-10, 01:06 PM
is it that when you double the diameter you double the A?
koat
Nov16-10, 01:08 PM
as the area increases the R decrease
cepheid
Nov16-10, 01:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by koat View Post
is it that when you double the diameter you double the A?
This is false. What is the area of a circle in terms of its diameter (or radius)?
koat
Nov16-10, 01:11 PM
r ^2 times pi
cepheid
Nov16-10, 01:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by koat View Post
r ^2 times pi
Right. And since the diameter is just twice the radius, what this means is that the area depends on the SQUARE of the diameter. So, if you double the diameter, you don't double the area. If you double the diameter, the area increases by a factor of _____?
koat
Nov16-10, 01:20 PM
sorry i don't get what you mean with the A depends on the square of diameter.
can you show me an example with numbers please so that i can visualise this problem?
cepheid
Nov16-10, 01:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Alright look. Let's call the original diameter d1. Now:

[tex] A_1 = \pi r_1^2 [/tex]

But the radius is just half the diameter, so:

[tex] r_1 = d_1 / 2 [/tex]

Agreed? Therefore:

[tex] A_1 = \pi \left(\frac{d_1}{2}\right)^2 = \pi \frac{d_1^2}{4} [/tex]

This is how the area of a circle depends upon its diameter. As you can see, area is equal to a constant times the diameter squared.

Now, what happens if we change the diameter by doubling it? Let's call the new diameter d2 so that:

[tex] d_2 = 2d_1 [/tex]

We can plug this new diameter into the formula for the area in order to find the new area:

[tex] A_2 = \pi \frac{d_2^2}{4} = \pi \frac{(2d_1)^2}{4} = 4 \pi \frac{d_1^2}{4} = 4A_1 [/tex]

So we have the result that A2 = 4A1. After doubling the diameter, the new area is equal to FOUR times the original area. This is because the area of a circle is proportional to its diameter SQUARED. So if you double the diameter, you quadruple the area. If you triple the diameter, you increase the area by a factor of nine. If you quadruple the diameter, the area increases by a factor of 16. Now do you understand?
koat
Nov16-10, 01:42 PM
wow I'm impressed with that.
Yes I understand now. Thanks a lot for your answer :)

Register to reply