Question for the resistance of the wire

In summary, the resistivity of copper at 20℃ is 0.0173 x 10^-6 ohm m. When the copper rod is drawn into a wire with uniform diameter of 0.8mm, the resistance at 60℃ is 0.398ohm. The equation R0 = ρL/A was used, but the length (L) changes when the diameter is reduced. Assuming the volume of copper is constant, the correct resistance is 0.1184ohm.
bckcookie
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
I think about many times for few days, but I still can't find out the correct answer! Maybe my steps are somethings wrong, please advise me! Thanks!

A copper rod, 0.4m long and 4.0mm in diameter, has a resistance of 550μΩ at 20℃. Calculate the resistivity of copper at that temperature. If the rod is drawn out into a wire having a uniform diameter of 0.8mm, calculate the resistance of the wire when its temperature is 60℃. Assume the resistivity to be unchanged and the temperature coefficient of resistance of copper to be 0.00426/℃.Correct answer : 0.0173 x 10^-6 ohm m, 0.398ohm

My steps as follows:

the resistivity of copper : 0.0173 x 10^-6 ohm m ( I've got it, no problem!)

the resistance of the wire :

Area : π x [(0.8/2)x10^-3]^2

R0 = Pl/A =[ 0.0173 x 10^-6 x 0.4] / 3.14 x 1.6 x 10^-7 =0.01377ohm

R1 /R2= (1+0.00426x20) / (1+0.00426x60)

R1/0.01377ohm = 0.8652

R1 = 0.1184ohm (wrong answer!)

Physics news on Phys.org
bckcookie said:
R0 = Pl/A =[ 0.0173 x 10^-6 x 0.4] / 3.14 x 1.6 x 10^-7 =0.01377ohm

The equation R0 = ρL/A is correct but you forgot about L changing when you substituted the numbers.

L is no longer 0.4m

I don't know what is the value of changing L and how to calculate it, please advise me!

Last edited:
If the diameter is reduced the length will increase. Assume the volume of copper is constant.

I got it, thanks so much!

1. What is the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is a measure of how much the wire opposes the flow of electrical current. It is determined by the wire's physical properties, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and material.

2. How is resistance of a wire calculated?

The resistance of a wire can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I), or R = V/I. It can also be calculated using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the wire, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, and material. Longer wires have higher resistance, while thicker wires have lower resistance. Different materials also have different resistivities, with metals having lower resistivities than nonmetals.

4. How does temperature affect the resistance of a wire?

As the temperature of a wire increases, the resistance also increases. This is due to the increased vibrations of the atoms in the wire, which makes it harder for electrons to flow through. Some materials, such as semiconductors, may have a decrease in resistance with increasing temperature.

5. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is the Ohm (Ω). It is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm, who discovered the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.