Resistance of 2 materials, different resistivity, combined

In summary: You can think of the gold wire and silver wire as two separate resistors in series, and the section where they are joined as two resistors in parallel. Then you can use the formula R = ρL/A to calculate the resistance for each section and add them together to find the total equivalent resistance.
zachem62

Homework Statement

A 60-cm long gold wire is soldered to a silver wire of the same length as shown in the diagram. If each wire is 2.00 mm in diameter, determine the equivalent resistance of the combination between A and B.
Diagram is attached.

Homework Equations

R = ρL/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach was to calculate resistance for the 3 separate parts and add them together. So 10cm of gold, 10cm of silver, and 40cm of the combined part in the middle. But for the middle combined part, my approach was to combine the areas and resitivity of the 2 wires, but is this really the right way?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 2.30.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 2.30.12 PM.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 781
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement says that each wire is 60 cm, but in your attempt, you have 10cm + 40cm.
It looks like the section where they are running alongside each other should be treated as 2 resistors in parallel. Then that parallel combination is in series with the strand of gold and that is in series with the strand of silver.

But make sure you get it to add up to the correct lengths.

scottdave said:
The problem statement says that each wire is 60 cm, but in your attempt, you have 10cm + 40cm.
It looks like the section where they are running alongside each other should be treated as 2 resistors in parallel. Then that parallel combination is in series with the strand of gold and that is in series with the strand of silver.

But make sure you get it to add up to the correct lengths.
just to clarify, I didn't say it was 10cm + 40cm, I said it was 10 + 40 + 10, with 40 being the combined part in the middle. How can you tell if those 2 resistors should be treated as parallel? don't you calculate the resistance with R = ρL/A formula and combining their resistivity values somehow?

You have a voltage gradient, between one end of the wire and the other end (in the soldered section). Whether they are separated, and only soldered at two points, or are touching each other all the way along, the gradient will be the same. If they were separated, and only joined at the tips, you could go along, a certain amount of length, and measure voltage for the gold wire and the silver. The voltage would be the same.

I think of it similar to how a Wheatstone Bridge works. If the resistance is proportional, then the galvometer will read zero across the bridge, and no current will flow. If no current is flowing across, it doesn't matter if they are touching or separate - they operate the same.

Here are a couple of links on it. https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/tunwheat.html
http://www.electronicshub.org/wheatstone-bridge/

zachem62 said:
just to clarify, I didn't say it was 10cm + 40cm, I said it was 10 + 40 + 10, with 40 being the combined part in the middle. How can you tell if those 2 resistors should be treated as parallel? don't you calculate the resistance with R = ρL/A formula and combining their resistivity values somehow?
The problem statement says the gold wire is 60 cm, and the silver is the same length. The part where they are together is 40 cm, according to your picture. So if 40 cm of the gold wire shares with the silver, then there is 20 cm of gold wire by itself. Similarly, the silver will have 20 cm left over by itself. The entire combined wires should be 20cm + 40cm + 20cm

scottdave said:
The problem statement says the gold wire is 60 cm, and the silver is the same length. The part where they are together is 40 cm, according to your picture. So if 40 cm of the gold wire shares with the silver, then there is 20 cm of gold wire by itself. Similarly, the silver will have 20 cm left over by itself. The entire combined wires should be 20cm + 40cm + 20cm
Oh I see mistake now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Likes scottdave
scottdave said:
You have a voltage gradient, between one end of the wire and the other end (in the soldered section). Whether they are separated, and only soldered at two points, or are touching each other all the way along, the gradient will be the same. If they were separated, and only joined at the tips, you could go along, a certain amount of length, and measure voltage for the gold wire and the silver. The voltage would be the same.

I think of it similar to how a Wheatstone Bridge works. If the resistance is proportional, then the galvometer will read zero across the bridge, and no current will flow. If no current is flowing across, it doesn't matter if they are touching or separate - they operate the same.

Here are a couple of links on it. https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/tunwheat.html
http://www.electronicshub.org/wheatstone-bridge/
So in this case, you're saying I would treat it like a circuit and calculate the resistances with the formula R = ρL/A and add them all up as if they were series and parallel accordingly?

Likes scottdave
zachem62 said:
So in this case, you're saying I would treat it like a circuit and calculate the resistances with the formula R = ρL/A and add them all up as if they were series and parallel accordingly?
Yes, that is how I would approach this problem.

1. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of the material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω·m).

2. How is resistivity different from resistance?

Resistivity is an inherent property of a material, while resistance is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electric current. Resistivity is dependent on the material's composition and structure, while resistance also takes into account the length and cross-sectional area of the material.

3. How can two materials with different resistivity be combined?

Two materials with different resistivity can be combined in series, where the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, or in parallel, where the reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances.

4. What factors affect the resistance of a material?

The resistance of a material is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, temperature, and resistivity. Longer and thinner materials have higher resistance, while wider and shorter materials have lower resistance. As temperature increases, resistivity also increases, leading to a higher resistance.

5. How is resistivity measured?

Resistivity is typically measured using a four-point probe method, where four evenly spaced probes make contact with the material and a known current is passed through the outer probes while the inner probes measure the voltage. The resistivity can then be calculated using Ohm's law.