Length of Wire Effect on Current and Inner Electric Field.

In summary: So if current is half as large, and length is twice as large, then the electric field is half as large.In summary, when comparing the quantities of current and electric field in two wires of the same material connected to a 9-V ideal battery, with wire 2 being twice as long as wire 1, it can be concluded that the current in wire 2 will be half as large as wire 1, and the electric field in wire 2 will also be half as large as wire 1. This is due to the fact that the resistance of wire 2 is twice the resistance of wire 1, and the resistivity is the same for both wires. The solutions manual is incorrect in stating that current 1
alingy1
>Two wires of the same material are both connected to a 9-V ideal battery. They have the same cross section area but wire 2 is twice longer than wire 1. Compare the following quantities by answering if the quantity for wire 1 is smaller, equal or greater than the same quantity in wire 2.

> - Current in wire 1 vs. current in wire 2.

> - Electric field in wire 1 vs. electric field in wire 2.

The solutions say that current 1 = current 2 and that electric field 1 = electric field 2.

How does the length of the wire affect these two quantities? According to Kirchhoff's Law: $$\Delta V=RI$$.

$$R=\frac{L\rho}{A}\implies$$ Resistance of wire 2 is twice the resistance of wire 1. Therefore, the current in wire 2 will be twice as small as wire 1.

Finally, we know that $$J=\sigma E$$ The resistivity is the same because the material is the same. So, the electric field will be twice as small for wire 2.

The solutions manual seems wrong. Am I right or is there a problem in my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Notes.
"twice as small" is ambiguous ... do you mean "half"?
##\Delta V= IR## is Ohm's law.

You can compare values mathematically by dividing them.

Last edited:
Hi Simon,
Maybe I was not clear. I was asking if my reasoning, starting by "How does the length" is right. "twice as small"="half" (that is what I meant).
Thanks in advance!

... I understood you fine. I was trying to suggest how you may check your own reasoning instead of having to rely on an outside authority.
I could say you are right, but how do you know I'm right?
Instead of relying on other fallable humans, try using maths more formally.

alingy1 said:
>Two wires of the same material are both connected to a 9-V ideal battery. They have the same cross section area but wire 2 is twice longer than wire 1. Compare the following quantities by answering if the quantity for wire 1 is smaller, equal or greater than the same quantity in wire 2.

> - Current in wire 1 vs. current in wire 2.

> - Electric field in wire 1 vs. electric field in wire 2.

The solutions say that current 1 = current 2 and that electric field 1 = electric field 2.

How does the length of the wire affect these two quantities? According to Kirchhoff's Law: $$\Delta V=RI$$.

$$R=\frac{L\rho}{A}\implies$$ Resistance of wire 2 is twice the resistance of wire 1. Therefore, the current in wire 2 will be twice as small as wire 1.

Finally, we know that $$J=\sigma E$$ The resistivity is the same because the material is the same. So, the electric field will be twice as small for wire 2.

The solutions manual seems wrong. Am I right or is there a problem in my reasoning?
I see you are from Italy, so English likely is not your first language.
Rather than saying "twice as small", it's better to say something like "half as large", or perhaps say current in wire 1 is twice as large as current in wire 2.

I agree that the solutions manual is wrong.

I would arrive at electric field by considering V = E⋅d .

1. How does the length of wire affect the current flowing through it?

The length of wire has a direct effect on the current flowing through it. As the length of the wire increases, the resistance also increases, which in turn decreases the current flowing through it. This is known as the "length effect" and is described by Ohm's law.

2. What is the relationship between the length of wire and the inner electric field?

The length of wire also has an effect on the inner electric field. As the length of the wire increases, the electric field also increases. This is because the longer wire has a larger surface area, allowing for more charged particles to flow through it and create a stronger electric field.

3. How does the material of the wire affect the length effect on current and electric field?

The material of the wire also plays a role in the length effect on current and electric field. Different materials have different resistivity, which is a measure of how much they resist the flow of electric current. A wire with higher resistivity will have a greater length effect on current and electric field compared to a wire with lower resistivity.

4. Is there a limit to how long a wire can be before it stops conducting electricity?

There is no specific limit to how long a wire can be before it stops conducting electricity. However, as the wire gets longer, the resistance and voltage drop also increase, eventually reaching a point where the wire can no longer efficiently conduct electricity. This is known as the "critical length" and varies depending on the material and thickness of the wire.

5. How can the length effect on current and electric field be minimized?

The length effect on current and electric field can be minimized by using thicker wires or wires with lower resistivity. This reduces the resistance and allows for more efficient flow of current, thus reducing the length effect. Additionally, keeping the length of the wire as short as possible can also help minimize the length effect.