Register to reply

Chlorine and hydrogen bonding

by Woopydalan
Tags: bonding, chlorine, hydrogen
Share this thread:
Woopydalan
Sep10-12, 11:07 PM
P: 746
Does chlorine make a hydrogen bond? I was doing a practice problem in my book and the question was regarding the intermolecular forces, and the compound had chlorine and it said no, but my professor said it does. Which is true?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemical biologists find new halogenation enzyme
Protein secrets of Ebola virus
Protein courtship revealed through chemist's lens
Drakkith
Sep10-12, 11:47 PM
Mentor
P: 11,997
If it doesn't, could Hydrogen Chloride form?
chill_factor
Sep10-12, 11:54 PM
P: 900
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
If it doesn't, could Hydrogen Chloride form?
That's a covalent bond between hydrogen and chlorine, not a hydrogen bond. Hydrogen bonds are a form of weak noncovalent bonding acting between molecules that contain O-H, N-H and F-H groups where the hydrogen is partially ionized.

Now whether chlorine participates in hydrogen bonding is something I don't know but I'll personally say "no".

JohnRC
Sep11-12, 02:25 AM
P: 148
Chlorine and hydrogen bonding

There is not a Cl–H...X bond. (X = N, O, or F)
There might be some evidence for weak O–H...Cl hydrogen bonds in some cases.
AGNuke
Sep11-12, 02:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 456
The electronegativity of Nitrogen and Chlorine are almost same, and Nitrogen makes H-Bond, so yes, Chlorine also makes bond.

But the thing is that due to the size of chlorine, the electron density, which is required on chlorine for dipole-dipole attraction between partial positive H atom and partial negative Cl atom, is low, therefore, these "hydrogen" bonds are not strong enough to be comparable with Hydrogen bonds with N, O & F.

Register to reply