Why is the fluorine atom a poor hydrogen bond acceptor?

In summary, according to my notes, fluorine is too electronegative and so it cannot form hydrogen bonds as well as other elements. However, it is stated that a hydrogen bond will be stronger if the electron density on the electron rich atom is stronger.
sgstudent
My notes states that fluorine is too highly electronegative and hence clings on too tightly to its lone pair of electrons and so it cannot accept hydrogen bonds as well. However, it also stated that a hydrogen bond will be stronger if the electron density on the electron rich atom the stronger the hydrogen bond. These 2 statements seem to contradict though.

I read online from this link http://www.quora.com/Why-can-chlorine-atoms-not-form-hydrogen-bonds-even-though-they-have-very-similar-electronegativity-to-nitrogen-which-can that a hydrogen bond has an electrostatic component, but what differentiates it from a dipole-dipole interaction is that it also has a covalent component. And since the F clings onto its electrons too tightly it would not want to form a covalent bond which is why its a poor HBA and forms weak hydrogen bonds.

So is the second statement wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
sgstudent said:
My notes states that fluorine is too highly electronegative and hence clings on too tightly to its lone pair of electrons and so it cannot accept hydrogen bonds as well.
I wouldn't sign that. The hydrogen bond in the ion FHF##^-## is one of the strongest known.

It's not clear what this statement means: "fluorine is too highly electronegative and hence clings on too tightly to its lone pair of electrons and so it cannot accept hydrogen bonds as well."

Fluorine, atomic number 9, has 7 electrons in its valence shell, hence it is lacking 1 electron to have a full complement, which is why it is grouped with the halogens in the Periodic Table.

SteamKing said:
Fluorine, atomic number 9, has 7 electrons in its valence shell, hence it is lacking 1 electron to have a full complement, which is why it is grouped with the halogens in the Periodic Table.
And how does this contradict the fact that fluorine, also has lone pairs that participate in hydrogen bonding?
I think it is also amply clear from the context that sgstudent is not talking about a fluorine atom but some fluorine compounds like HF.

DrDu said:
And how does this contradict the fact that fluorine, also has lone pairs that participate in hydrogen bonding?
I think it is also amply clear from the context that sgstudent is not talking about a fluorine atom but some fluorine compounds like HF.
That's funny, because his notes didn't say anything about fluorine compounds, just fluorine.

Even a fluorine atom has 3 lone pairs ...

1. What is a hydrogen bond and why is it important?

A hydrogen bond is a type of chemical bond that occurs between a hydrogen atom and an electronegative atom, such as oxygen, nitrogen, or fluorine. It is important because it helps molecules to stick together and influences many properties of substances, such as their boiling points and solubility.

2. How does fluorine's electronegativity affect its ability to form hydrogen bonds?

Fluorine is the most electronegative element, meaning it has a strong attraction for electrons. This makes it difficult for hydrogen atoms to donate their electrons to fluorine, making it a poor hydrogen bond acceptor.

3. Can fluorine form hydrogen bonds at all?

While fluorine is a poor hydrogen bond acceptor, it can still form very weak hydrogen bonds with highly electronegative atoms. However, these bonds are much weaker compared to those formed with oxygen or nitrogen.

4. How does the size of the fluorine atom affect its ability to accept hydrogen bonds?

The fluorine atom is relatively small, which means it has a high charge density. This makes it difficult for larger atoms, such as hydrogen, to approach and form a bond with it, further decreasing its ability to accept hydrogen bonds.

5. Why is understanding fluorine's role as a hydrogen bond acceptor important in biology?

In biology, hydrogen bonds play a crucial role in the structure and function of molecules such as DNA and proteins. Understanding the limitations of fluorine as a hydrogen bond acceptor helps us understand the interactions between molecules and their biological functions.