Hydrogen peroxide/ sulfuric acid mixture

In summary, the conversation involved the speaker attempting to make potassium iodide using a mixture of chemicals inherited from a previous teacher. However, they accidentally used a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and sulfuric acid, resulting in the formation of a black precipitate. The speaker also discussed the potential for sulfur formation and the safety precautions of not using the concoction for an elephant toothpaste demonstration.
mishima
Hi, I'm not sure what I just created. First I mixed sodium iodide with hydrochloric acid. Then to that I added a hydrogen peroxide/ sulfuric acid mixture (thinking it was just hydrogen peroxide). It seems a black precipitate is forming.

I was trying to make potassium iodide using an inherited box of mystery chemicals (probably not a good idea, granted) from a previous teacher for elephant toothpaste demo.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Compare

Last edited by a moderator:
It is similar, yes. I just sort of did a double take when I realized I wasn't working with hydrogen peroxide, but some mixture of h2o2 and sulfuric acid. I was thinking maybe sulfur precipitated as well given the smell. It also has a much finer grain and slightly greyish color.

Sulphur as far as I remember, is yellow colour. Hydrogen Peroxide is usually mixed with little sulphuric acid or phosphoric acid or glycerine, as they work as negative catalyst in the disproportionation reaction, in which Peroxide converts into water and dioxygen. (Considering I remember I had been taught)

As for Sulphur, I am not sure that Sulphuric acid has enough strength to oxidise Peroxide and get reduced itself to form Sulphur, so chances of sulphur formation is nil.

Ok, I guess the sulfuric acid wasn't really part of it after all.

Please don't brush an elephant's teeth with your concoction.

Don't worry, elephants' teeth are hard to reach. He won't bother. :wink:

1. What is a hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture?

A hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture is a combination of two chemicals - hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and sulfuric acid (H2SO4). It is a strong oxidizing agent that is commonly used in various industrial and laboratory applications.

2. What are the properties of a hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture?

The properties of a hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture include its strong oxidizing ability, corrosive nature, and ability to release oxygen gas upon decomposition. It is also highly reactive and can cause burns when in contact with skin.

3. What are the uses of a hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture?

A hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture has various uses, including bleaching of textiles and paper, water treatment, and as a cleaning agent in the manufacturing of electronics. It is also used in the production of various chemicals and as a catalyst in certain reactions.

4. How should a hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture be handled safely?

A hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture should be handled with caution and proper safety measures. It should be stored in a well-ventilated area, away from sources of heat and direct sunlight. Protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn when handling this mixture. It should also be diluted with water before use and never mixed with other chemicals without proper guidance.

5. What are the potential hazards of a hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture?

The potential hazards of a hydrogen peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture include skin and eye irritation, respiratory problems, and potential combustion when in contact with certain materials. It can also react violently when mixed with incompatible chemicals. Careful handling and proper disposal are important to avoid any accidents or harm to individuals and the environment.