Should sodium lipoate react with ascorbic acid?

In summary, the individual purchased R-Alpha lipoic acid powder but is unsure about the purity of the product. They mixed 500mg of ALA with 250mg of sodium bicarbonate to create sodium lipoate. They then added 250mg of pure ascorbic acid to the final mixture and some small amount of insoluble sulfuric color goo formed. Their question is if this is an impurity in ALA and if so, should Sodium lipoate react with ascorbic acid in anyway? If it reacts what are the reaction's products?
bassamnfs
Hi,
I've bought R-Alpha lipoic acid powder (not sure about its purity). So I mixed 500mg of ALA with 250mg sodium bicarbonate to get sodium lipoate, 30 minutes later (when the reaction is over) I added some 250mg of pure ascorbic acid to the final mixture and some small amount of insoluble sulfuric color goo formed. my question: Is this an impurity in ALA ? In other words: should Sodium lipoate react with ascorbic acid in anyway? if it reacts what are the reaction's products?

Thanks in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what exactly the reactants would be, but the sulfuric color goo is likely sulfur itself or a sulfur compound, since Sodium Lipoate contains sulfur.
Also, just to clarify, would this be your reaction...
C6H8O6 + NaC8H13O2S2
?

Thanks for your replay.
Yes exactly, what would C6H8O6 + NaC8H13O2S2 ----> ?

bassamnfs said:
Thanks for your replay.
Yes exactly, what would C6H8O6 + NaC8H13O2S2 ----> ?
I can't tell you off the top of my head. Unless anyone else knows, maybe you could try to figure it out intuitively. Was there any bubbling in the reaction to indicate a gas? Or any other visible products besides the sulfur (or sulfur compound)?

There is a reaction after adding ascorbic acid because it produces the yellow insurable substance I mentioned earlier

bassamnfs said:
There is a reaction after adding ascorbic acid because it produces the yellow insurable substance I mentioned earlier
Yeah I saw that part, but could you tell if their was any bubbling at the surface? That would indicate that a gas (such as CO2 or H2) was produced as another product.

No, there was no gas or any indication of a reaction

bassamnfs said:
No, there was no gas or any indication of a reaction
Then the best advice I personally can give you is that you can perform tests on the other products and attempt to match their properties with properties of potential products that could be produced (i.e. Density, freezing point). This might take a while but I can't think of any other way. Even so, it might not work if the products are in a mixture. Worth a try though if you have some spare time!

Likes bassamnfs
Could you be re-protonating the lipoate with the ascorbic acid and precipitating out the fatty acid? I don't know the pKa's of the species involved, but organic acids tend not to be water soluble when they're not dissociated.

Likes bassamnfs
Thanks for the reply.
I retried the reaction again to find out that the gooey substance will be produced from the very first reaction ( ALA + Sodium bicarbonate), means without even adding ascorbic acid later. I get the same results ( waiting time for the reaction to complete 30 minutes, before not exactly 30 minutes ).
I took this gooey substance and put it on the stove, it melted to a brownish liquid then started to smoke, by smell it's similar to sulfur but not sure... anyway, I think this powder of alpha-lipoic acid is impure...

Ygggdrasil, appreciate your help. thanks

1. What is sodium lipoate and ascorbic acid?

Sodium lipoate is a supplement that is used to treat various medical conditions, including nerve damage and diabetes. Ascorbic acid, also known as vitamin C, is a nutrient found in many foods and is important for maintaining a healthy immune system.

2. Can sodium lipoate and ascorbic acid react with each other?

Yes, sodium lipoate and ascorbic acid can react with each other. This reaction is known as a redox reaction, where electrons are transferred between molecules.

3. What happens when sodium lipoate reacts with ascorbic acid?

When sodium lipoate reacts with ascorbic acid, it produces a compound called dehydroascorbic acid. This compound is also a form of vitamin C and is easily converted back to its active form.

4. Is it safe to take sodium lipoate and ascorbic acid together?

Yes, it is generally safe to take sodium lipoate and ascorbic acid together. However, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement or medication.

5. Are there any known interactions between sodium lipoate and ascorbic acid?

There are no known interactions between sodium lipoate and ascorbic acid. However, it is always important to inform your doctor or pharmacist of all medications and supplements you are taking to avoid any potential interactions.