Decomposition of hydrogen peroxide

In summary, the chemical method for determining the concentration of hydrogen peroxide at different times in the decomposition reaction with manganese(IV) oxide involves adding the reaction mixture to dilute sulphuric acid and then titrating it with potassium permanganate. Dilute sulphuric acid is used to prevent the hydrolysis reaction of the metal with water, as it will react with the water instead of the metal.
Clari
For the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide in the presence of manganese(IV) oxide, what is the chemical method to determine the concentration of hydrogen peroxide, at different times?

The solution is: To add the reaction mixture in dilute sulphuric acid, and then titrate the reaction mixture with potassium permanganate.

please tell me why dilute sulphric acid is used. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is an old thread, but I am still waiting for someone to help me with it. ^-^

I thought we already answered this question...several times. Perhaps it is to prevent the hydrolysis reaction of the metal with water, an acid base reaction between the metal and water. If you add a stronger acid than the metal, the former will react with the water instead of the metal.

What is the chemical equation for the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide?

The chemical equation for the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide is 2H2O2 → 2H2O + O2.

What factors affect the rate of decomposition of hydrogen peroxide?

The rate of decomposition of hydrogen peroxide can be affected by temperature, concentration, pH, and the presence of catalysts.

Why does hydrogen peroxide decompose?

Hydrogen peroxide decomposes because it is an unstable compound, with weak bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms. This makes it prone to breaking down into water and oxygen gas.

What is the purpose of using a catalyst in the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide?

A catalyst is used in the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide to speed up the reaction without being consumed itself. This allows for a faster rate of decomposition and can also control the products formed.

How is the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide used in everyday life?

The decomposition of hydrogen peroxide is used in a variety of everyday products, such as hair dyes, teeth whitening kits, and cleaning products. It is also used in industrial processes, such as bleaching paper and producing certain types of plastics.