Register to reply

Lagrangian density for a complex scalar field (classical)

by Trave11er
Tags: classical, complex, density, field, lagrangian, scalar
Share this thread:
Trave11er
Dec7-12, 10:44 AM
P: 71
Hi.
Let's say we have a complex scalar field [itex]\varphi[/itex] and we separate it into the real and the imaginary parts:
[itex]\varphi[/itex] = ([itex]\varphi1[/itex] + i[itex]\varphi2[/itex])
It's Lagrangian density L is given by:
L = L([itex]\varphi1[/itex]) + L([itex]\varphi1[/itex])
Can you tell the argument behind the idea that in summing the densities of cpts. we treat the imaginary part on equal basis with the real.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
K^2
Dec7-12, 12:27 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,470
Do you mean to say L([itex]\varphi[/itex]) = L([itex]\varphi1[/itex]) + L([itex]\varphi2[/itex])? That's because L([itex]\varphi[/itex]) = L([itex]\varphi1[/itex]) + L([itex]i\varphi2[/itex]) due to superposition principle, and L([itex]i\varphi2[/itex])=L([itex]\varphi2[/itex]) due to U(1) symmetry. Neither are absolutely generally true. Former requires a linear Lagrangian, later requires it to be symmetric under U(1) transformations. Both of these are true in Quantum Mechanics, but not necessarily in general field theory.
dextercioby
Dec7-12, 01:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,895
U(1) symmetry follows from the general requirements for a Lagrangian field theory. The action must be real under complex conjugation, hence the lagrangian density must contain matched products of phi and phi star and subsequent spacetime derivatives.

K^2
Dec7-12, 01:46 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,470
Lagrangian density for a complex scalar field (classical)

You are right, it does follow from L = L*. I never really thought of it that way.
Trave11er
Dec7-12, 03:56 PM
P: 71
Thank you for the answers - they are very insightful.

Register to reply