Noether currents for a complex scalar field and a Fermion field

In summary, the lagrangian density and the associated conserved current for a scalar field are given by: the equation of motion involves second-order derivatives with respect to time & spatial variables - hence the current contains the "one-order-less" derivatives (i.e., first-order differentiation). For a fermion field, the equations of motion involve first-order derivatives with respect to time & spatial variables - hence the current does not contain any additional differentiation.
Sandglass
For a complex scalar field, the lagrangian density and the associated conserved current are given by:

$$ \mathcal{L} = \partial^\mu \psi^\dagger \partial_\mu \psi -m^2 \psi^\dagger \psi $$
$$J^{\mu} = i \left[ (\partial^\mu \psi^\dagger ) \psi - (\partial^\mu \psi ) \psi^\dagger \right] $$
whereas for a fermion field, results are:
$$ \mathcal{L} = \bar \psi ( i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -m ) \psi $$
$$J^{\mu} = \bar \psi \gamma^\mu \psi $$

In the former case, a derivative of ## \psi ## appears in the Noether current and not in the latter. Apart from the technical aspect, does this difference tell us anything about the physics of these situations ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What situation?

Well the equation of motion would be different.

Last edited:
My question is only a formal comparison between the two currents: the presence of a derivative term in one case and its absence in the other intrigues me (although its demonstration from the Lagrangian is straightforward). But perhaps there is no lesson to be learned.

For a scalar field, the equations of motion involve second-order derivatives with respect to time & spatial variables - hence the corresponding current contains the "one-order-less" derivatives (i.e., first-order differentiation).

Observe, for example, that the (spatial) current corresponding to the ordinary Schrödinger equation contains gradient operators while the equation itself involves a Laplacian. The important difference is that the Schrödinger equation is of first-order in the time derivatives, which is not the case for the equations of motion of the scalar field.

The Dirac equation on the other hand is of first-order in both the time & spatial derivatives, hence the corresponding current does not involve any additional differentiation. So as regards to the question
Sandglass said:
(...) does this difference tell us anything about the physics of these situations ?
I would say that one can infer about the character of the relevant equations of motion by looking at the expressions for the associated conserved currents. This is of some importance, since the dynamics of the fields are encoded in the solutions of the corresponding equations of motion.

Perhaps looking at it this way can help build some intuition for working with/teaching the Lagrangian formalism of field theories, or deriving/justifying the form of the equations of motion "the other way around".

Likes vanhees71 and topsquark

1. What is a Noether current for a complex scalar field?

A Noether current for a complex scalar field is a conserved quantity that arises from the invariance of the Lagrangian under a continuous transformation of the field. It represents the symmetry of the system and is related to the conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How is a Noether current calculated for a complex scalar field?

A Noether current for a complex scalar field can be calculated using the Noether's theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry of a Lagrangian, there exists a corresponding conserved current. The Noether current can be obtained by applying the Noether's theorem to the Lagrangian of the system.

3. What is the significance of Noether currents in physics?

Noether currents have significant implications in physics as they represent the fundamental symmetries of a system. They provide a powerful tool for understanding the conservation laws of energy, momentum, and other quantities in physical systems.

4. Can a Noether current be calculated for a Fermion field?

Yes, a Noether current can be calculated for a Fermion field. In fact, Noether currents can be calculated for any field that exhibits continuous symmetries. For a Fermion field, the Noether current is related to the conservation of fermion number.

5. How are Noether currents used in practical applications?

Noether currents have various practical applications in physics, such as in the study of gauge theories, quantum field theory, and cosmology. They are also used in the development of new theories and models to describe physical phenomena and in the calculation of important physical quantities, such as cross-sections and decay rates.