Why does field Lagrangian depend on four-derivative?

In summary, the Lagrangian in field theory is a functional of the field and its derivatives. This is necessary for Lorentz invariance, as derivative terms must be built out of scalars involving the whole four-gradient. The Lagrangian density depends on all four derivatives, not just the time derivative, in order to incorporate possible interactions and the field velocity. The use of the greek subscript in \partial_{\mu}\varphi simply refers to a derivative with respect to x,y,z or t.
Dixanadu
Hi guys, so this is a pretty generic question.

Starting off with the classical Lagrangian in a case where there is no interaction or explicit time dependence, the functional form is

[itex]L=L(x,\dot{x})=L(x,\partial_{t}x)[/itex].

Now when we look at the Lagrangian density in field theory, the functional dependence is

[itex]\mathcal{L}=\mathcal{L}(\varphi,\partial_{\mu}\varphi)[/itex].

And there's my question. Why does the Lagrangian density depend on [itex]\partial_{\mu}\varphi[/itex] and not only [itex]\partial_{t}\varphi[/itex]? i mean why the four-derivative?

I have a few ideas but I'm not sure if they are correct. I'm thinking along the lines that since [itex]\partial_{\mu} = \nabla + \partial_{t}[/itex], maybe the [itex]\partial_{\mu}[/itex] just appears to merge the two together and make it more compact as this one term includes possible interactions and also the field velocity?

Please help! thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Dixanadu said:
[itex]\partial_{\mu} = \nabla + \partial_{t}[/itex]

That's not true.
The field is assumed to be lorentz invariant, hence derivative terms must be built out of scalars involving the whole four-gradient. (e.g. box operator).

Okay thank you :) I do have a question though - why is it wrong? is the sign of the nabla meant to be negative or is it just completely wrong?

Dixanadu said:
Okay thank you :) I do have a question though - why is it wrong? is the sign of the nabla meant to be negative or is it just completely wrong?

Didn't see this sorry.
The partial derivative with the greek subscript just refers a derivative with respect to x,y,z or t.

Related to Why does field Lagrangian depend on four-derivative?

1. Why does the field Lagrangian depend on four-derivative?

The field Lagrangian depends on four-derivative because it is used to describe the dynamics of a system with four dimensions - three spatial dimensions and one time dimension. In order to fully characterize the behavior of this system, the Lagrangian must include terms that account for the derivatives of the fields in all four dimensions.

2. Can the field Lagrangian depend on a different number of derivatives?

Yes, the field Lagrangian can depend on a different number of derivatives, depending on the specific system being studied. For example, in a system with only one spatial dimension, the Lagrangian may only need to include one-derivative terms.

3. How does the number of derivatives affect the field equations?

The number of derivatives in the field Lagrangian affects the complexity of the resulting field equations. Generally, a higher number of derivatives leads to more complicated equations of motion, and may also introduce additional physical phenomena such as particle spin.

4. What role do the four-derivative terms play in the field Lagrangian?

The four-derivative terms in the field Lagrangian are essential for fully describing the dynamics of a system in four dimensions. They contribute to the equations of motion and can also influence the behavior of the fields in non-trivial ways, such as generating interactions between different fields.

5. Are there any physical implications of the field Lagrangian depending on four-derivative?

Yes, the inclusion of four-derivative terms in the field Lagrangian can have significant physical implications. For example, these terms may lead to the emergence of new particles or interactions that would not exist in a simpler model with fewer derivatives. Additionally, the four-derivative terms can affect the stability and behavior of the system in unexpected ways.